3 Reasons Finance Majors Make the Best Hires

As a Professor of Finance and Economics at SUNY Geneseo for 17 years, I have taught hundreds of bright and talented finance majors, who have been rigorously tested and molded into formidable graduates through their field of study. Having been through a similar curriculum myself — I hold a Masters in Economics from Nankai University and a PhD in Finance from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign — I can confidently say that finance majors make highly valuable hires who are well equipped to take on the JPMorgans, Goldman Sachs and James Streets of the world once they graduate.

What sets them apart? There are 3 key qualities which make finance majors the best hires for part-time jobs and entry-level jobs.

Eager Learners

Markets constantly change which forces finance majors to study the markets, trends and new industries. These students must be eager learners to keep up with these rapidly altering markets. It is necessary for these students to stay up to date on finance publications (i.e. The Economist, Business Week, Barron’s, etc.), and keep a close eye on the stock market. [blockquote background=”Lighter Blue: #53B3E5″]Looking for finance major jobs? Check out this Accounting Internship and this Investment Advisory Internship.[/blockquote]

Critical thinking skills

Students across the board are taught to think critically, however, finance students are especially analytical. In every class that they take, they are asked to dig into the numbers and study trends while giving them meaning.

“My finance classes taught me to always very carefully analyze my decisions and my work,” says Ken Chenault, a Harvard 2012 graduate who concentrated in Economics and has worked for Goldman Sachs and for a small private equity firm

Well Calculated Risk Takers

These students take various classes on financial planning and risk analysis. Every decision that they make in their role can have a huge impact on a company, a family or individuals, so the ability to calculate the risks well is vital.

“Whether it has been a work assignment or a potential change, I always take the time to first analyze any potential risks and plan out the best way to move forward,” Ken says.

Because finance majors are in demand, becoming a finance major can lead to a high-paying full-time job in private equity, investment banking, corporate finance and so many other positions, but make sure that you’re choosing this field of study because you’re passionate about the subject and about the skills you’ll gain through it – not because of the monetary gain you’ll receive from it.  

wayupstudent

Published by
wayupstudent

Recent Posts

Want a Career that Matters? Discover Tata Consultancy Services and its Corporate Social Responsibility Leadership

Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is an IT services, consulting and business solutions organization that has…

2 weeks ago

How ‘Early Careers’ at Tata Consultancy Services Prepares You for a Career with Impact

Taking a leap and joining an internship can come with many unknowns – Will I…

2 weeks ago

From interns to analysts with Capital One’s Analyst Internship Program

Capital One’s Analyst Internship Program (AIP) is the launchpad for a satisfying career in business…

2 weeks ago

Help Change the World by Interning at Arup

If you have not heard of Arup, you have likely seen their firm’s work firsthand…

3 months ago

Want a Career with Impact? Work at the American Heart Association

When looking to start your career, you consider the type of work involved, but do…

4 months ago

Learn How The Estée Lauder Companies Champions Diversity & Career Advancement in the Beauty Industry

Like many industries, the beauty industry has grown to be one of the fastest evolving…

5 months ago