Job Search

Freshmen Focus: Leverage Functional Skills to Find Internships

Many students – not just freshmen – get distracted by looking for internships in their “academic major”.  As a freshman, I would caution you from this. Majors are broad discipline areas and while coursework will teach you specific knowledge, focus your first internship search on building functional skills.

Your first internship should increase “employability” for your next opportunity and demonstrate you can work in a professional setting. That next internship may be in a company or department very related to your choice of major.

You already possess a number of functional skills that can be leveraged!

Examples of Functional skills include:

• analytical thinking
  • research, information gathering and organization
  • organizational skills
  • computer skills
  • problem solving
  • monitoring
  • planning
  • communication – written, verbal, presentation
  • active listening
  • negotiation
  • judgement and decision making

The ONet is a great tool to learn about occupational areas and explore what skills are associated with occupations that interest you.

Rhett, an Isenberg Marketing major, did not focus on his major when looking for an internship. He was flexible about his options – and found ways to build relationships with individuals at the company in his area of interest – while increasing his functional skill sets.

“My advice would be to focus less on your major or ultimately what you want to do.  In my case, I got a paid internship at an Insurance company doing operations and financial work and I am a Marketing and Psychology Major who is looking to get into consumer behavior research.  I realized that if I was flexible with what I was doing, I would have more options and get the professional experience that companies love seeing.  Beyond that, once I was in the position, I was able to work with marketing managers on projects with free time at the company.  Beyond that, don’t underestimate the power of your network and who you know.  I got in at the company I was at because I had family that worked there and HR liked them. “ Rhett, MKTG

Kim Figueroa

Published by
Kim Figueroa

Recent Posts

Want a Career that Matters? Discover Tata Consultancy Services and its Corporate Social Responsibility Leadership

Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is an IT services, consulting and business solutions organization that has…

4 days ago

How ‘Early Careers’ at Tata Consultancy Services Prepares You for a Career with Impact

Taking a leap and joining an internship can come with many unknowns – Will I…

5 days ago

From interns to analysts with Capital One’s Analyst Internship Program

Capital One’s Analyst Internship Program (AIP) is the launchpad for a satisfying career in business…

5 days ago

Help Change the World by Interning at Arup

If you have not heard of Arup, you have likely seen their firm’s work firsthand…

3 months ago

Want a Career with Impact? Work at the American Heart Association

When looking to start your career, you consider the type of work involved, but do…

3 months ago

Learn How The Estée Lauder Companies Champions Diversity & Career Advancement in the Beauty Industry

Like many industries, the beauty industry has grown to be one of the fastest evolving…

4 months ago