Life After College

Navigating the Post-College World

This is a guest post by Kirsten Anderson for Student Stories.

It’s April 2013 and I am eagerly awaiting my graduation ceremony on the 18th. Things will be different; I will no longer be a student slaving away at assignments and can finally do what I want to do; achieve goals that I sacrificed in order to attain a college degree; I cannot wait to be finished.

Fast forward a few months and I’m wishing I were still a student. Trading my Spring Breaks and three-day-a-week class schedule for working full-time at a coffee shop was not my idea of post-graduation life. To say the least, post-graduation life was not what I expected. That’s not to say that graduating wasn’t what I wanted – I just had different expectations.

Most students expect to get a salaried job worthy of a four-year degree. But in the current circumstances of this country, that isn’t always the case. In fact, I found myself working with high schoolers and people who had never gone to college when I first graduated and began working at a coffee shop. As much as I can complain about not landing my dream job straight out of college, these smaller jobs have allowed me to start thinking about where I want to go and what I would like to do.
In fact, in the past year I have managed to buy a car and save money while still making time for myself. In saying that, I have learned that the importance of having a work-life balance could not be more prominent in keeping one’s sanity. Although I work 40 hours a week, I have not only starred as a supporting role in a play, but have managed to spend a week in the mountains skiing with my dad and brother, and spent time with friends on a regular basis.

While many of us graduate and are dissatisfied with our first post-college jobs, I truly believe that these jobs are an important part of our journey to not only gain experience for our future careers, but to find out who we are as a person. For instance, I have learned that banking is probably not in my future, and this has challenged me to think about what I would really like to pursue. On the other hand, being a teller has allowed me to save and manage my money in a responsible way. In saying this, I encourage you to look at these jobs as stepping-stones for your goals, dreams, and aspirations; learning opportunities for future endeavors; rather than disappointments.

So my tips to you are:

• Create a list of goals and a timeline to accomplish them.
  • Look for opportunities to learn in the jobs leading up to your career.
  • Create a work-life balance by pursuing a hobby or passion (ie: photography, baking, writing, etc.).
  • Network: talk to everyone you encounter – a lot of times people get jobs through connections.
  • Don’t give up – just because you aren’t where you expected to be after college, doesn’t mean you won’t get there – be patient.

About the Author:

Kirsten Anderson is a 22-year-old graduate from Macquarie University in Australia where she originally went on exchange and later transferred to after falling in love with the country. After graduating she has been both a barista and a teller while saving money to move to Atlanta, Georgia where she would like to pursue a career in film/television. She enjoys travelling, warm weather, playing tennis, and spending time with friends and family.

Thomas Martino

Published by
Thomas Martino

Recent Posts

Help Change the World by Interning at Arup

If you have not heard of Arup, you have likely seen their firm’s work firsthand…

2 months ago

Want a Career with Impact? Work at the American Heart Association

When looking to start your career, you consider the type of work involved, but do…

3 months ago

Learn How The Estée Lauder Companies Champions Diversity & Career Advancement in the Beauty Industry

Like many industries, the beauty industry has grown to be one of the fastest evolving…

4 months ago

Discover the Future of Professional Development: KPMG Lakehouse Propels Early Career Success

Welcome to the ideal destination for professional transformation and growth—KPMG Lakehouse. Are you an early…

4 months ago

Discover Why Students Love Interning with Elevance Health

Applying for internships can be a stressful process, especially as the pressure increases for college…

5 months ago

A Future-Ready Workforce at KPMG: Investing Ahead of the Curve

KPMG, one of the Big 4 Accounting Firms, has taken their investment in new hires…

5 months ago