This Award-Winning Company Offers Top-Notch Rotational Programs for Recent Grads (No Prior Experience Necessary!)

This article is sponsored by Shea Homes, which is hiring sales and development, construction management development, and leadership development roles right now.

When you’re a recent grad, finding an entry-level job where you can learn a lot, be challenged, and receive support and mentorship can be difficult. What’s one company that does all of these things and then some? Shea Homes, an award-winning home building provider that offers rotational programs to give young professionals the skills they need (and no prior experience in construction is required!).

Think Shea Homes sounds like a great place to work? Melissa Tolson and Tyler Mussro, two Shea employees, take you through how they ended up at the company, what their roles look like, and how you can take part in one of Shea’s life-changing development programs.

What drew you to Shea Homes and this particular role?

Melissa: I worked with someone who had interned with Shea Homes over the summer at another company, and she told me about the rotational program. She had a such a great experience and spoke very highly of the company, so I did some research and reached out to the area vice president. I was impressed that the company thought ahead enough to establish a program like this and was excited about the prospect of being able to learn so much about the business.

Tyler: Since I was a kid, I have always been interested in architecture and specifically residential construction. I would always find myself on weekends drafting floor plans in a sketchbook and in high school using 3D rendering software to create designs.

When it came time towards the end of [undergrad] to start looking for a job, I was immediately drawn to the family atmosphere that Shea presented as a private builder. I was not necessarily sure what department I wanted to work in but when I started, [but] the operations side definitely drew my attention.  

What’s your current role, and what’s your favorite thing about your job?

Melissa: I am currently about a year [into] a two-year rotational program, and in my third rotation, [currently] acting as a field manager or superintendent. I am running six homes this summer, taking them from dirt to a finished home that I will deliver to a customer. I have no previous construction experience, so [I’m] learning as I go with the help of a great team and a really comprehensive scheduling tool.

My favorite thing about my job is the people I work with, not just other employees, but the trades and homebuyers. I really enjoy interacting with the framers, the AC installers, and the electricians; they are great about explaining the technical aspect of the business to me as I’m learning construction. Many of the customers we are building for have been looking forward to this stage of their lives for a long time and are excited and fun people with a lot of cool stories and experiences. The team is focused on doing the right thing, for our customers, our trade partners, and each other.  

Tyler: My current role is [working as] a field manager, but I have recently transitioned into a scheduling manager and helping other field managers with their outstanding issues going on with their homes. I have also taken the responsibility of remodeling six of our original 2007 model gallery homes to bring the interior finishes up to the 2016 look. I have also been working with my operations manager on some new product development coming soon our community.

What’s something surprising that many people might not know about your job?

Melissa: You spend an amazing amount of time in your vehicle; it’s my way of getting around the job site, my rolling tool box, and my favorite place to make calls since it [has] AC and I can use my bluetooth. It becomes how people recognize you as you drive around the community, where you keep your important papers, plans, safety gear, trash bags, and emergency kit and fire extinguisher.  

Tyler: Something surprising about my job would be the lasting relationships you get to build with homeowners. As you build their home for up to seven to eight months, you exchange weekly calls, emails, and texts. What Shea Homes field managers do differently from other builders is they give a more personal touch to this relationship.

I have found myself investing time in asking how my homeowners’ families, pets, and vacations are because I have gained the trust from them that we are building them a quality, beautiful home. Homeowners that now live in the home I built them for over two years still come up to me in the field asking how everything is going. It is an awesome feeling for people to show such a sense of pride with something I have built them.

What advice do you have for someone applying to a similar role at Shea Homes?

Melissa: Be persistent and enthusiastic! It can be a longer process than you might experience with other employers, but it’s worth it because the people you work with, the ones that come out of this hiring process, are great.  And don’t be afraid to apply if you have no prior experience in real estate. What Shea is really looking for is people with high energy, the ability to figure out what needs to be done and execute, and people with a passion for what we do.   

Tyler: Come into Shea knowing you will want to be with this company for the rest of your career. Shea is great about giving the right people a shot, and I am a perfect example of that. I came to Shea straight out of school with no construction experience and have gained so much knowledge and experience over that past two and a half years.

If it were not for Shea being such an open company willing to mold the best people into positions within the company, I am not sure what I would be doing in life right now. I do know, however, I have enjoyed my time here thus far and hope to continue enjoying it for quite some time.

If you want to get an amazing experience like Melissa and Tyler, you’re in luck: Shea Homes is looking for recent grads to take on roles in sales and development, construction management development, and leadership development roles right now on WayUp!

Lily Herman

Published by
Lily Herman

Recent Posts

Want a Career that Matters? Discover Tata Consultancy Services and its Corporate Social Responsibility Leadership

Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is an IT services, consulting and business solutions organization that has…

2 weeks ago

How ‘Early Careers’ at Tata Consultancy Services Prepares You for a Career with Impact

Taking a leap and joining an internship can come with many unknowns – Will I…

2 weeks ago

From interns to analysts with Capital One’s Analyst Internship Program

Capital One’s Analyst Internship Program (AIP) is the launchpad for a satisfying career in business…

2 weeks ago

Help Change the World by Interning at Arup

If you have not heard of Arup, you have likely seen their firm’s work firsthand…

3 months ago

Want a Career with Impact? Work at the American Heart Association

When looking to start your career, you consider the type of work involved, but do…

4 months ago

Learn How The Estée Lauder Companies Champions Diversity & Career Advancement in the Beauty Industry

Like many industries, the beauty industry has grown to be one of the fastest evolving…

4 months ago