Job Search

The Motto That Helped Me Stay On Track During My Entry Level Job Search

Anyone who’s studied Physics will be familiar with the term vector. I became reacquainted with it while browsing through my high school textbooks and decided to adapt it as my personal slogan: Become a vector!

A vector is a quantity with both magnitude (a number or “force”) and specific direction, usually represented by an arrow. Why does this matter? Because in your job search, it is key to have a direction and to find ways to keep moving further forward along that path.

In my job search, I’ve become distracted by all the different career opportunities thrown at me, many moving along paths that seem interesting but aren’t right for me. It’s important to think of the purpose any job or professional interaction will serve in the long run. Will they get you closer to your dream career?

Having been in the job market for a short while and having found it frustrating, it’s easy to see how one can grow eager and  desperately jump at any opportunity. It’s important to be patient and always ask whether this will add substance to your resume.

I am an English major with a degree in journalism. I want to edit the next Harry Potter or interview Tyler Florence and be paid for it, but if an opportunity doesn’t get me even remotely closer to what I want, it’s not for me. If I’m not a vector, then I’m just wasting time.

So, things I have to remember:

1. What I want career-wise.
  2. What my skill sets are.
  3. Never to get desperate

Applying for jobs that are tailored towards my goals will go a long way in this process. Even if they are entry-level jobs, it can be a learning experience that will keep you on track to where you eventually want to go.

Anna Gray

Published by
Anna Gray

Recent Posts

Help Change the World by Interning at Arup

If you have not heard of Arup, you have likely seen their firm’s work firsthand…

2 months ago

Want a Career with Impact? Work at the American Heart Association

When looking to start your career, you consider the type of work involved, but do…

3 months ago

Learn How The Estée Lauder Companies Champions Diversity & Career Advancement in the Beauty Industry

Like many industries, the beauty industry has grown to be one of the fastest evolving…

4 months ago

Discover the Future of Professional Development: KPMG Lakehouse Propels Early Career Success

Welcome to the ideal destination for professional transformation and growth—KPMG Lakehouse. Are you an early…

4 months ago

Discover Why Students Love Interning with Elevance Health

Applying for internships can be a stressful process, especially as the pressure increases for college…

5 months ago

A Future-Ready Workforce at KPMG: Investing Ahead of the Curve

KPMG, one of the Big 4 Accounting Firms, has taken their investment in new hires…

5 months ago