WayUp Bosses: Students Hired by Brick & Portal

Brick & Portal is a tech-forward fashion platform that brings tastemakers and top brands closer together. This company is disrupting the social commerce space and has built themselves an all-star team. Using WayUp, they hired not one but three stellar candidates as Creative Summer Interns. So, we decided to catch up with two out of these three #WayUpbosses about the job search and what their future with Brick & Portal looks like this summer!

Jennifer K., rising Junior at Rutgers University

What is your current job and what was the interview process like? Currently, I am an intern for Brick & Portal, which I found out through WayUp.

After applying, I was offered an interview with the CEO and COO. We met at a coffee shop right by their office, and I had a wonderful time speaking with them. They were so easy going and showed great interest in the smallest details I told them about myself. I definitely felt comfortable and in-tune with them during the interview.

What do you hope to learn from this internship?

I hope to have hands-on experience with fashion. If I could attend events, speak with some organizers, and work alongside some designers we are partnered with, I would be absolutely thrilled.

Any embarrassing/funny stories from past jobs or interviews? Oh boy…well one time an employer asked me to tell her a unique fact about myself that would make me stand out from other interviewees. The first thing that came to my head was what I blurted out: “I can snap with all ten of my fingers!” True fact, by the way. He wasn’t so convinced, so when I showed him, his jaw dropped to the floor. Needless to say, I got the job!

Oh boy…well one time an employer asked me to tell her a unique fact about myself that would make me stand out from other interviewees. The first thing that came to my head was what I blurted out: “I can snap with all ten of my fingers!” True fact, by the way. He wasn’t so convinced, so when I showed him, his jaw dropped to the floor. Needless to say, I got the job!

Ava P., rising Sophomore at PACE University

What do you hope to learn from this internship?

I hope to learn as much as I can through this summer internship because I want to bring skills such as social media, programming, communication, event organization, etc. to my future employments.

What do you think is the toughest part of the job search for college students and recent grads?

I think the toughest part of finding a job as a college student is that there are SO MANY companies that are looking for people to work for them, but students don’t know that they are even out there.

Any embarrassing/funny stories from past jobs or interviews?

All of my interviews and jobs have been very normal!

Got a job through us and want to tell your story? Email nina@wayup.com. She refreshes her inbox every few seconds (no, really, she does). OR, still looking for a job? You know where to go.

Nina Boyd

Published by
Nina Boyd

Recent Posts

Want a Career that Matters? Discover Tata Consultancy Services and its Corporate Social Responsibility Leadership

Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is an IT services, consulting and business solutions organization that has…

1 week ago

How ‘Early Careers’ at Tata Consultancy Services Prepares You for a Career with Impact

Taking a leap and joining an internship can come with many unknowns – Will I…

2 weeks ago

From interns to analysts with Capital One’s Analyst Internship Program

Capital One’s Analyst Internship Program (AIP) is the launchpad for a satisfying career in business…

2 weeks ago

Help Change the World by Interning at Arup

If you have not heard of Arup, you have likely seen their firm’s work firsthand…

3 months ago

Want a Career with Impact? Work at the American Heart Association

When looking to start your career, you consider the type of work involved, but do…

3 months ago

Learn How The Estée Lauder Companies Champions Diversity & Career Advancement in the Beauty Industry

Like many industries, the beauty industry has grown to be one of the fastest evolving…

4 months ago