THIS POSITION WILL BE POSTED FROM SEPTEMBER 18, 2019 TO SEPTEMBER 24, 2019 BY 4:00 PM.
MUST BE ABLE TO PASS THE ELECTRICAL TECHNICIAN TEST.
OPEN ONLY TO DRPA IUOE LOCAL 542 MEMBERS!
To maintain and improve the electrical integrity of the bridge infrastructure. Maintain a safe and satisfactory environment for the employees and patrons.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The Authority will adhere to all applicable laws and regulations in assessing an employee's ability to carry out or otherwise meet the job requirements set forth herein in a satisfactory manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Handle high voltage, transformers, lighting, etc.
- Analyzes bridge lighting and house services.
- Install new services to upgrade the facility.
- Maintain the current electrical equipment & services to ensure proper operations of equipment and lumination of the facility.
- Maintain the integrity of the facility for safety and keep current on National Electrical Code upgrade specifications.
- Operate motorized equipment and vehicles in a safe matter following all laws pertaining to New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- Assist in MPT (Maintenance and Protection of Traffic) management.
- Coordinates with supervisors the activities of outside contractors performing tasks at the facility. Performs inspections of these functions for Bridge and Engineering departments.
- Be available for emergencies beyond the normal scheduled tour of duty.
- Report unusual conditions and take corrective actions as assigned.
- Operate radio equipment under FCC guidelines for intra-facility use.
- Service the emergency backup system, generators and batteries.
- Plans details of working procedure by determining replacement needs or new material required and develops a logical approach to correct the problem.
- Analyzes circuits, wiring diagrams and drawings to install, repair, calibrate, service or replace electronic devices and systems.
- Installs repairs and maintains communication cables and power distribution cables. Makes splices as required.
- Handle multi voltages from 13,200 down to fractional voltages, AC and DC currents.
- Work on street lighting; glassware, lamps and transformers. Clean all fixtures throughout facility.
- Install, repair and maintain; signs, toll and traffic lights, beacon lights, tower lights, transformer rooms, pump rooms, navigation lights, elevators, generators, conveyors, switchgear, clocks, overhead doors, fuses, testing equipment.
- Regularly work on maintenance in the preventive maintenance program.
- Operate specialized pieces of equipment; Aerial lift vehicle, Loaders, Backhoe, Ditch witch, Platform Truck, Crane, snow removal equipment, etc.
- Assist other departments during emergencies or accidents and snowstorms.
- Coordinates, with the Electrical Foreman, the activities of outside contractors performing tasks at the facility.
- Assists in maintaining a safe and secure work environment by participating in required training, recognizing and reporting hazards and suspicious activity, and using all required personal protective equipment.
- Technicians shall perform all duties as assigned but shall not be limited to any certain specialty (ies).
THIS IS A SAFETY SENSITIVE POSITION AND IS SUBJECT TO ALL PROVISIONS OF THE DRPA/PATCO’S SUBSTANCE ABUSE TESTING AND CONTROL POLICY INCLUDING RANDOM DRUG TESTING AND PERIODIC PHYSICAL TESTING REQUIREMENTS AND THE FEDERALLY MANDATED CDL DRUG AND ALCOHOL RANDOM TESTING REQUIREMENTS.
- The individual must demonstrate the ability to organize, and analyze complex and diverse information and use same to resolve problems in a timely manner.
- The individual must pursue training and development opportunities in order to continuously build knowledge and skills. Must be willing to share expertise with others.
- The individual must be able to manage difficult customer situations and respond promptly to customer needs. The maintenance of confidentiality is essential.
- The individual must be able to read, understand written and verbal instructions, speak and write clearly in order to communicate effectively. Must be able to demonstrate group presentation skills.
- The individual must display openness to others views, must be able to balance team and individual responsibilities. Must contribute to building positive team spirit by supporting everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- The individual must show respect and sensitivity for cultural differences and work toward promoting a harassment free environment and diverse workforce. The individual must treat everyone with respect, work with integrity and uphold and support organizational values and goals.
- The individual must follow all organizational policies and procedures.
- The individual must be able to prioritize and plan work activities using time efficiently. He or she must react well under pressure and accept responsibilities for his/her own actions. The individual must respond to management direction.
- THE INDIVIDUAL MUST DEMONSTRATE ACCURACY AND THOROUGHNESS, APPLY FEEDBACK TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE AND MONITOR HIS OR HER OWN WORK TO ENSURE QUALITY. INDIVIDUAL SHOULD ALWAYS BE WILLING TO GENERATE SUGGESTIONS TO IMPROVE INDIVIDUAL AND DEPARTMENTAL PERFORMANCE.
- THE INDIVIDUAL MUST BE PUNCTUAL AT ALL TIMES AND ENSURE THAT WORK RESPONSIBILITIES ARE COVERED IN HIS/HER ABSENCE. MUST COMPLETE TASKS CORRECTLY AND ON TIME.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit 10%. The employee is required to stand and walk 65% and lift, climb, bend 25%. The employee must have the physical agility, balance and coordination required to climb heights in excess of 400 feet. The employee must occasionally lift objects up to 100+ pounds, hold objects up to 100+ pounds, and carry objects up to 50 + pounds. Have normal day and night time vision, corrected or uncorrected. Have normal hearing, corrected or uncorrected. Must be able to perform all position functions. Must be able to physically operate service and maintain all related vehicles and equipment specific to position functions. Must have the physical agility, balance and coordination required to climb heights in excess of 200 feet. The employee must maintain a neat and clean appearance. Must be willing to work in all weather and in variable controlled hazardous material exposures.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The employee must be organized, work well under pressure, and be able to prioritize assignments appropriately.
- The employee must communicate well with the public, and remain poised under pressure.
- The employee must understand the importance of discretion and adhering to deadlines.
- The employee must be available for emergencies beyond the normal scheduled tour of duty.
PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM OR CLUTTER FOR ANY EMAILS REGARDING THIS SELECTION PROCESS.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- 12 years general education or equivalent, vocational training or trade experience.
- 6 years combined industrial and commercial electrical hands-on, practical, field experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of the NEC and NFPA 70E regulations.
- Proficiency in relevant personal computer applications such as word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Pass DRPA Electrical Technician tests.
- This position requires a current Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A or B with air brakes and tanker endorsement from the state of New Jersey, Pennsylvania or Delaware. _Applicants who lack the appropriate CDL at the time of application, but who otherwise are deemed qualified for the position may be considered. If the selected candidate does not have the appropriate CDL at the time of selection, he or she must obtain said CDL within the orientation period. Failure to provide proof of the CDL, which is required to perform the essential duties of the job, for any reason within six (6) months from the candidate’s date of hire will result in the immediate termination of employment. _
- 8 years combined industrial and commercial electrical hands-on, practical, field experience.
- Fiber Optic Training.
KIND OF WORK KNOWLEDGE:
- High degree of precision working with minimum tolerances is required. High degree of attention and care is required to prevent injury to others when responsible for flow of electrical power. Familiarity with the use of tools and practices of the electrical trade. Knowledge and operational understanding of high-voltage switchgear. Must know theory of electricity.