Counselors are the primary caregivers for each camper. The Counselor is responsible for planning, teaching, coordinating, and carrying out activities and guiding campers in their personal growth and daily living skills.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers in their living unit, within activities, and throughout the camp to meet the intended camper outcomes.
- Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement, and empowerment of youth.
- Assure campers are appropriately supervised at all times.
- Be aware of and implement safety guidelines.
- Participate in the development and implementation of program activities for campers within the mission and outcomes.
- Responsible for leading and assisting with the teaching of activities.
- Actively participate in all program areas as assigned.
- Provide for the progression of activities within the framework of individual and group interests and abilities.
- Assist in program areas such as waterfront, all camp activities, and creative as directed.
- Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff.
- Provide the daily care of each camper within your supervision including recognition of personal health needs.
- Ensure that campers receive their medications as directed by the infirmary staff.
- Be alert to campers and staff needs and assist them with personal and/or health problems, and discuss with infirmary staff and unit leader when appropriate.
- Be alert to equipment and facilities to ensure utilization, proper care, and maintenance is adhered to; report repairs needed promptly to the camp director.
- Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior.
- Set a good example for campers and others regarding general camp procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship.