The Structural Engineer I will function as the lead structural engineer on assigned projects and will also provide assistance and peer review on other projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Utilization of software such as REVIT, Advance Steel, or TEKLA for development of design drawing packages.
- Proactive in the gaining familiarity with the latest codes including IBC/ASCE7, AWSD1.1, AISI, AISC and ACI_318 and assisting the lead structural engineer with the application of these codes.
- Perform structural analysis on steel and concrete structural systems under the direction of a Sr. Structural engineer.
- Maintain files of calculations and structural documentation on projects where assigned as structural engineer.
- Interface directly with project Lead CAD/Designers, engineers and Project Managers to develop and coordinate structural system general arrangements and system details.
- Check design/fabrication drawings developed by R&A.
- Check structural steel fabrication detail drawings (shop drawings) and connection details.
- Provide direction and assistance to junior designers and design/drafters.
- Interface directly with Roeslein Modular Fabrication to review fabrication methods and regarding inspection of structural systems prior to delivery.
- Assist with checking, updating and maintaining structural design standards and procedures.
- Perform site visits occasionally to evaluate modifications required to existing platform and/or building structures.
- Develop and maintain relationships with employees at all locations.
- Conduct activities in a safe and healthy manner and work in accordance with established safety and company requirements.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote a positive working environment in order to achieve the organization’s goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Work is performed in an office and uncontrolled atmosphere. Exposure to harsh conditions—such as: dust, fumes, chemicals, hazardous materials, noise, and varying weather and temperatures—for short periods of time is possible. All employees are required to follow safety standards and wear all personal protective equipment in designated areas.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. While performing the duties of this position, the employee will is regularly required to walk, stand, use hands and fingers, grip, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk and hear; and work in a consistent state of alertness and in a safe manner. Ability to lift and carry 10 lbs. on a regular basis is required.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILL / ABILITY / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil and/or Structural Engineering is required.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in design of industrial steel structures required.
- Basic proficiency with either RAM, STAAD or RISA structural analysis software preferred.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills are required.
- Basic AutoCAD proficiency is preferred.
- Mechanical aptitude and hands-on mechanical/repair experience preferred.
- Ability to work flexible hours and some weekend work may be required.
- Excellent communication skills; both oral and written is required.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent organization and planning skills.
- Ability to effectively learn and acquire new knowledge and skills.
- Computer skills and an in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Windows based programs are required.
- Requires effective time management skills, personal conduct, and change management abilities.
- Ability to effectively interact with co-workers, clients, vendors, and other business contacts.
- Must comply with Roeslein & Associate’s core values for the safe and efficient operation of the business and maintain sound relationships among and with employees.