THE ASSISTANT LEAD AT THE FARMYARD IS RESPONSIBLE FOR PROVIDING THE HIGHEST QUALITY OF DAILY CARE AND HUSBANDRY FOR ALL ANIMALS IN THE COLLECTION, MAINTAINING ALL EXHIBIT ASPECTS OF THE FARMYARD, AND FACILITATING ANIMAL/VISITOR INTERACTIONS. ADDITIONAL DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED. MANAGEMENT RETAINS THE DISCRETION TO CHANGE OR ADD TO THE DUTIES OF THIS POSITION AT ANY TIME.
- Inspect all animals and exhibit areas several times daily, note the animals’ health, appearance and behavior, and the condition of the exhibit facilities with regard to animal and guest safety
- Responsible for cleaning and maintenance of the exhibit area, animal holding areas and service areas
- Responsible for assembling and distributing animals diets as directed; ensuring animals have clean, fresh water at all times
- Responsible for animal training and enrichment
- Assist contract veterinarian with animal care
- Assist/monitor guest interaction with animals in the contact yard in a professional, hospitable manner, smiling and treating guests with friendliness and respect
- Maintain and represent various historical themes in costume and presentation to visitors
- Initiate projects/programs to further goals of excellent animal care and training and guest satisfaction/education/entertainment
- Assist with light maintenance and repair duties
- Complete animal records, including daily reports, veterinary records, and training and enrichment logs
- Participate in Farmyard education programs, public demonstrations, and other tasks as assigned
- All other duties as assigned
THESE ARE CARRIED OUT IN ACCORDANCE WITH APPLICABLE SAFETY POLICIES AND LAWS. RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Assist in training and supervision of Keeper I, Keeper II, and Animal Keeper/Interpreters
- Assume supervisory duties in the absence of the Farmyard Lead
THE PHYSICAL DEMANDS DESCRIBED HERE ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF THOSE THAT MUST BE MET BY AN EMPLOYEE TO SUCCESSFULLY PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE MADE TO ENABLE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to take directional cues directly and indirectly.
THE WORK ENVIRONMENT CHARACTERISTICS DESCRIBED HERE ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF THOSE AN EMPLOYEE ENCOUNTERS WHILE PERFORMING THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE MADE TO ENABLE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- Must understand, read, write and speak the English language
- MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD
- Must be able to maintain a good working relationship with coworkers
- Must be able to work days, nights, weekends, and holidays as needed
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to converse appropriately with employees and guests
- Must have enthusiasm and passion to share this attraction and the Park with guests
- Must possess a strong teamwork ethic
- Must be able to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of customers or employees
- Must be able to work outside in all weather conditions
- Must be computer literate and familiar with Microsoft Office programs
- MUST HAVE AND MAINTAIN A DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- MINIMUM OF 3 YEARS EXPERIENCE WORKING WITH LIVESTOCK REQUIRED
- MINIMUM OF 3 YEARS EDUCATION OR EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE RELATING TO ANIMAL BEHAVIOR AND HUSBANDRY WITH THE ABILITY TO RECOGNIZE ABNORMALITIES IN ANIMAL HEALTH AND BEHAVIOR REQUIRED
- SOME COLLEGE OR EQUIVALENT EDUCATION PREFERRED
- ANIMAL TRAINING EXPERIENCE PREFERRED
- VETERINARY TECHNICIAN EXPERIENCE PREFERRED
- PUBLIC SPEAKING OR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE PREFERRED