Acumen, LLC and The SPHERE Institute is dedicated to improving public well-being by bringing the highest standards of quality, objectivity, and excellence to bear on information and analysis for our partners and clients.
Acumen seeks a physician researcher with clinical expertise to provide clinical leadership and oversight for measure development activities and evaluation of measure performance. This individual should have expertise in working with health care data (from claims, billing, electronic health record, etc) and experience working in clinical settings.
- Provide clinical leadership and vision for the development of resource use and clinical quality measures derived from electronic health records, administrative or claims data, or other data sources in compliance with standards required by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Center for Clinical Standards and Quality (CCSQ), states, and the National Quality Forum (NQF)
- Serve as measure spokesperson when interacting with federal agencies, consensus endorsement entities and other clinicians
- Direct, plan, review and coordinate tasks to assist federal agencies in developing, implementing, reporting, and interpreting health policy measures
- Write and review literature summaries to recommend and support measurement concepts
- Develop, recruit and lead discussions with technical expert panel and expert working groups
- Synthesize and critically review comments received on measures through project-sponsored comment periods, federal rulemaking, NQF, and other public forums
- Evaluate and test the use of measures in value-based purchasing programs and evaluations of health care interventions
- Confirm/complete strategies for NQF measure endorsement, review and provide feedback on reports, and attend NQF committee meetings
- Monitor and report on the activities of key standards-setting committees and consensus-based organizations
- Identify and appropriately use team resources for project support as needed, synthesize information across multiple sources, and work with other team members, including effectively delegating tasks and mentoring staff
- Inform and critique education and outreach materials
- Medical degree and 5+ years of other training/relevant experience in any of the following fields: clinical medicine, health services research, public health, applied health informatics, clinical program management, health plan medical direction, biostatistics or epidemiology, or a related field
- Experience assessing clinical workflows related to measurement concepts or performance metrics
- Extensive experience in client-facing situations and successful history of communicating findings to clients and decision makers
- Experience planning, motivating, and supervising the work of large teams
- Understanding of the NQF endorsement process and/or CMS Measures Management System Blueprint
- Experience and knowledge of CMS, state, and other quality reporting programs. Working knowledge of standards used in quality measure development
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to write clear and concise technical memos and documents; experience giving presentations to panels and large groups
- Proven track record of successfully leading advisory groups and/or panels of experts, with excellent group facilitation skills, including the ability to resolve issues and build consensus across diverse perspectives and stakeholder groups
- Strong organizational skills and high level of attention to detail; flexibility to lead and manage multiple priorities, sometimes simultaneously, under deadlines.
This position is open in our Burlingame, CA; Los Angeles, CA; and Washington, D.C. offices. Applicants will have the opportunity to indicate their office preference.