The Senior Piping Designer will be responsible for managing designs for piping for the Engineering Services Group. This person will oversee all aspects of design for piping. Management of personnel and interfacing with the client are some key aspects of the job. Management of 3D design software tools is also required. Must have a varied piping design experience. This position requires an individual who demonstrates initiative, takes ownership for project work, and exhibits a high level of personal leadership.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Drive development of 3D piping arrangements and model from P&ID’s, specifications, and equipment information.
- Directs other personnel in routine piping design work as assigned by Project Manager.
- Makes project technical decisions in coordination with Project Engineer or Project Manager.
- Performs technical piping assistance as required.
- Performs more complex project design and design drafting.
- Assists Design Manager and Project Manager on proposals as directed.
- Leads project 3D model design reviews.
- Create well thought out, creative, constructible, accurate designs to eliminateerrors during fabrication.
- Create and revise P&IDs, PFDs, detailed Mechanical/Piping layouts, and Isos.
- Create, read, and comprehend line, manual valve, and site tie-in lists.
- Obtain quotes from suppliers and procure pipe, fittings, manual valves, bolts and gaskets from suppliers.
- Prepare, print, and review piping isometric’s and piping drawings needed for shop fabrication.
- Knowledge of pipe stress on piping systems.
- Coordinate with Structural engineer about loading and seismic requirements.
- Check equipment and other piping components form cut sheets when it arrives to verify accuracy in design.
- Coordinate with electrical engineer to model basic electrical components. (electrical transfer systems, panels, motors, control valves, etc.).
- Reviews product design for compliance with engineering, company standards and customer related specifications.
- Create specifications and catalogs within Plant 3D.
- Travel domestically and internationally 0-10% per year and up to four (4) weeks duration.
- Safely commute between St. Louis, MO Headquarters and our manufacturing facility in Red Bud, IL.
- Develop and maintain relationships with employees at all locations.
- Conduct activities in a safe and healthy manner and work in accordance with established safety and company requirements.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote a positive working environment in order to achieve the organization’s goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Work is performed in an office and an uncontrolled atmosphere. Exposure to harsh conditions—such as: dust, fumes, chemicals, hazardous materials, noise, and varying weather and temperatures—for short periods of time is possible. Must be able to travel to jobsites both domestically and internationally; living accommodations in some foreign assignments may not meet expected U.S. standards. All employees are required to follow safety standards and wear all personal protective equipment in designated areas.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. While performing the duties of this position, the employee will, regularly, be required to walk, stand, use hands and fingers, grip, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and talk and hear. Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis is required.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILL / ABILITY / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- Associate’s degree in Computer-Aided Drafting or a related degree is preferred.
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years of experience in drafting / design experience is preferred.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience as a pipe designer experience is preferred.
- Proficient with AutoCAD and AutoCAD Plant 3D is a must. You will be required to demonstrate this proficiency.
- Familiarity with industrial, petrochemical, sanitary, and pharma industries.
- Proficient with Navisworks Freedom/Simulate/Manage.
- Proficient with adequate pipe support details, locations, and spans.
- Experience and familiarity with B31.1 and B31.3 piping codes.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD Inventor.
- Knowledge of OSHA safety codes.
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously with varying scope and effectively prioritize workload to ensure deliverables are met.
- Ability to learn and acquire new knowledge and skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to learn from your mistakes.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to represent ROESLEIN in a professional, ethical and socially responsible manner.
- Excellent organization and planning skills.
- Modular Design experience is a plus.
- Self-directed and forward thinking with a strong work ethic.
- Strong interpersonal, listening, questioning and communication skills.
- Respectful of others, regardless of their position.
- Ability to learn hands-on with attention to detail and an ability to multi-task and work cross-discipline.
- Ability to work with shop/fabrication lead to discuss design constructability concerns in an efficient, constructive manner.
- Using design knowledge to make tough design decisions.
- Ability to effectively interact with co-workers, clients, vendors, and other business contacts.
- Must comply with Roeslein & Associate’s core values for the safe and efficient operation of the business and maintain sound relationships among and with employees.