Truman Medical Centers, a two-hospital, 600-bed, not-for-profit healthcare system, is the largest and most comprehensive safety net healthcare provider in Jackson County and Kansas City, Mo. TMC serves as the primary teaching hospital for the University of Missouri-Kansas City Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry and Pharmacy.
Our Hospital Hill campus is located in the UMKC Health Sciences District: a premier academic health district engaging in cutting-edge biomedical research and entrepreneurship, delivering state-of-the science health care, and educating the next generation of health care professionals. Recognized as a critical area resource for advanced specialized healthcare, TMC is constantly working to deliver the best possible medical care for our patients. Quality, innovation, teamwork and attention to detail are at the heart of all we do. TMC’s tagline is: “Better. For Everyone.” It is a simple statement, but it has profound significance. It is what we stand for, it is the focus of our work, and it is our promise to our patients.
Hospital Telephone Communications Operators (Operators) work independently to coordinate and transmit high-level communication services support for all aspects of Truman Medical Center’s (TMC) operations. As the primary contact person for TMC, Operators demonstrate premier customer service work.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Twelve months experience as a Telephone Communications Operator or equivalent. Six months of additional qualifying experience may substitute for required education.
- Must possess at least one year of experience in a direct customer service position.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in proper business English language, including grammar, spelling, and phonics, and excellent understanding of pronunciation of names.
- Must have well-modulated, clear, unaffected speech and hearing.
- Service excellence skills, including independent problem-solving and efficient multi-tasking.
- Experience in answering a high volume of calls, and communicating in a clear, concise, and calm manner.
- Must have the ability to work a flexible schedule, including scheduled hours, days off and additional hours if needed to ensure 24/7 delivery of communication services.
- Ability to sit and use computer/keyboard/communication headsets for up to 8-12 hours per scheduled shift.
- Pleasant and outgoing demeanor, excellent judgment, mature approach, and proactive manner are required.
- Must be able to stay calm in stressful, busy, critical moments and handle multiple tasks and situations, and be attentive to details and guests’ needs.
- Must be able to easily reach alarms on a wall, quickly reach and answer emergency phones, and move quickly in narrow spaces.
- Must have the ability to memorize, follow detailed written procedures and verbal instructions, process and retain new information, and adapt to new processes.
- Advanced Computer skills required. These include but are not limited to general Microsoft Office, Windows, use of mouse, ability to switch programs or functions, open and close programs, shut down and restart computer, and competent keyboard abilities.
- Must have good vision, hearing and public relations skills.