The goal of the Business Insights & Analytics Leadership Development Program's (BI&A LDP) geospatial internship is to attract and develop self-motivated individuals who are highly skilled and passionate about a career in geospatial analytics while providing a foundation for future success within the organization.
As a BI&A LDP Geospatial intern, you will be exposed to a challenging professional work experience in business insights & analytics with planned activities giving you insight into business, analytics, and the many geospatial career options at Travelers. With many company-wide events such as Intern Symposium and community outreach events, you will have the opportunity to interact and network with many levels of leadership and management. You will be expected to work together with fellow interns to develop and present solutions to relevant business and analytics topics.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
As a Geospatial Intern within the Business Insights & Analytics Leadership Development Program, your potential will be unlocked through robust projects, planful training, helpful development resources (Peer Advisors & Mentors) and engaging with your cohort of peers.
You'll create, analyze, and interpret spatial data to support business needs. Intern work can range across a broad set of experiences at Travelers that develop your knowledge of geographic information science, platform technology, statistics, spatial thinking, remote sensing, location intelligence issues, and the social/physical sciences to characterize CAT events, discover relationships and trends.
- Obtained or pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Science, Geography required.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States now and in the future.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater.
- 1- 2 years of experience with GIS principles and practices in a college setting.
- Proficiency in GIS mapping software and platforms required, ESRI ArcGIS Pro experience.
- Proficiency in SQL Server, SQL Spatial Data Types, Python or other programming languages.
- Familiarity with acquiring, cleaning, and modifying geospatial data.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Accountability: Strong track record of taking ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance, and results.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking: Demonstrated aptitude in identifying current or future problems or opportunities, analyzing data, synthesizing and comparing information to understand issues, identifying cause/effect relationships and exploring alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Change Management/Resilience: Ability to remain energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Customer Focus: Proven customer service skills with the ability to provide service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Emotional Intelligence: Demonstrated track record of self and social awareness, empathy and balances confidence with humility.
- Interpersonal: Excellent communication skills with the ability to actively engage with others while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Capability of exercising sound judgment, making decisions and committing to a position.
- Leveraging Differences: Proven capacity to works with and include people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and view those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Relationship Management: Strong relationship management skills including the ability to seek out, build, foster and maintain productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Teamwork: Ability to work together in situations when actions are interdependent, and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Work Ethic: Possession of a strong drive to do what it takes to get the job done; inquisitive and demonstrates a strong willingness to learn.