This position is responsible for the evaluation of the Commercial product from an underwriting perspective and utilizing data from PS&S, Pricing, and Marketing to grow the Commercial Auto business profitably. This position will evaluate expectations and underwriting opportunities for non-fleet business and approve or decline submission. This position will have the authority to evaluate risks and make underwriting decisions. Exposures outside of the authority for this position will be reviewed with Senior Underwriters or the Underwriting Manager prior to finalizing the decisions. Responsible for maintaining and growing a relationship between NGIC Insurance, its employees, potential/current policyholders, or claimants. This position can be located in the Dallas, TX or Winston-Salem, NC office locations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Following is a summary of the essential functions of this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
- Perform risk reviews and upfront underwriting review to determine risk acceptability (new business, renewals, reinstatements)
- Make decisions on risk acceptability or present risk details to Underwriter or Underwriting Manager for decision approval
- Serve as point of contact for Phones and Processing teams on regular exceptions
- Implements agreed-upon underwriting procedures to achieve growth and profit objectives
- Involvement with underwriting and processing of new business and renewals, including providing some input into product decisions and procedures
- Implement procedures and guidelines for Commercial Vehicle and make recommendations to Underwriting Manager for changes that will enhance our current book of business and automation of the Commercial Auto product
- Document and Communicates underwriting guidelines, philosophies, and decisions with Pricing, Marketing, Compliance, etc.
- Develop and analyze both internal and external data for an assigned business segment(s) and line(s) of business in order to direct pricing, underwriting, and sales decisions.
- Analyze the quality of assigned books of business through agent and profile reviews, audits, and ongoing communication with Pricing, Marketing, and PS&S
- Help to determine actions needed for agent rehabilitation
- Serve as a contact for CV agents
- Assist with Reviews on agent's books of business for book roll opportunities by quoting policies and determined acceptability, pricing, and risk management opportunities
- Train and mentor Processing and Phone teams as new and/or revised procedures are implemented
- Use file review (conducted by themselves or others) to ensure adherence with underwriting guidelines and direction related to assigned business segment(s) and line(s) of business reporting results to Underwriting Manager and making recommendations to improve results
- Develop knowledge of state and laws and regulations applicable to the underwriting of commercial vehicles and act a subject matter expert for both agents and underwriters