The Packaging Design Engineer must be able to provide innovative packaging solutions in a timely manner to RR Donnelley’s packaging customers. Develop from initial concept phase, cost-effective, structurally sound retail and E-commerce packaging, marketing kits, as well as redesigning existing packaging for improved performance and supply chain efficiencies.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop structural design solutions for folding carton, corrugated, and rigid board packaging materials. Thermoform/molded packaging experience a plus.
- Manage design projects and maintain effective communication as subject matter expert to sales, customer service, and manufacturing.
- Create 2D dieline files using Artios CAD.
- Create 3D renderings of packaging concepts to the standard set by management team for initial customer presentations. This includes 3D PDF outputs from ArtiosCAD, as well as exploded-view schematics and detailed assembly instructions.
- Create high-end, flawless packaging prototypes for customer presentations.
- Create organized, clear, and consistent specifications, dielines, and BOMs.
- Ensure all designs meet customer testing standards.
- Follow direction of the management team to ensure proper design protocols and procedures are followed.
- Be able to interpret concrete and abstract direction from customers, sales and management to develop a solution that exceeds customer expectations.
- Work collaboratively with design team members to identify and develop the best possible packaging solution.
- Effectively communicate reasoning behind design decisions.
- Maintain clear organization of large ongoing projects involving a multitude of components and revisions.
- Remain up to date on new packaging trends, materials, and technology.
JOB KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Bachelors and/or advanced degree in packaging engineering, industrial design, or related field.
- 5+ years experience in the structural design of packaging for consumer electronics, retail, consumer products and/or pharmaceutical markets.
- Must understand the entire design process from concept, prototype, testing, and production.
- Demonstrated experience in developing innovative solutions for paper-based packaging. Experience working in product design and non-paper packaging a significant benefit.
- Advanced knowledge of ArtiosCAD required. Basic knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft products preferred. Solidworks experience a significant plus.
- Knowledge of packaging testing procedures- ISTA, TAPPI, ASTM.
- Experience with China manufacturing a significant plus
- Occasional Travel may be required.
RRD IS AN EEO/AA INCLUDING VETS AND DISABLED EMPLOYER