Formed in 1974, Harvard Management Company (“HMC”) manages Harvard University's endowment and related financial assets. Our singular mission is to help ensure Harvard University has the financial resources to maintain and expand its leadership in teaching, learning, and research for future generations. The endowment is managed by a highly experienced generalist investment team whose members each take ownership of the entire portfolio, regardless of asset class. HMC's operational structure brings a wide range of expertise to our portfolio management. These functions include risk management, legal, compliance, finance and accounting, human resources and administrative services as well as information technology to develop and implement the systems necessary to support our investment activities.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Compliance team provides comprehensive legal, compliance, and governance support across all investment activity in the endowment and to HMC as an organization. This individual will oversee Natural Resources investments from a legal perspective. The Natural Resources portfolio, a dynamic and evolving portfolio with significant transaction volume, is comprised of agricultural and timber assets throughout the world with investments in the United States, South America and Australia.
- Manage legal and compliance due diligence reviews of investments as part of initial investment decision and on an ongoing basis
- Review and draft non-disclosure agreements, board and shareholder resolutions and miscellaneous contracts
- Work with paralegal on corporate governance and maintenance of corporate records for all investment vehicles
- Partner with natural resources team members to identify and underwrite legal and compliance risks, structure and negotiate transaction documents for acquisition, management and disposition of investments
- Track changes in underlying business relationships and revise legal documentation as necessary
- Monitor regulatory and legal developments in jurisdictions where investments operate to ensure ongoing compliance
- Oversee outside counsel helping to ensure expert, cost effective legal services in various jurisdictions.
- Work on special projects as they arise
- Willingness to travel as necessary
- Demonstrated success in a similar role in law firm or within the investment management industry
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent drafting skills across a wide variety of domestic and international corporate documents
- Strong attention to detail and high regard for confidentiality
- Self-motivated with the ability to follow through on projects independently
- Strong organizational skills; ability to prioritize and manage diverse responsibilities
- Ability to work with multiple constituencies in a team environment
- Unquestionable ethical standards
- JD required; admitted to practice in Massachusetts
- Minimum 5 years of legal experience in fund investing, domestic and international corporate transactions, general corporate matters for operating companies, and general exposure to the investment management industry