This position supervises digital printing and mailing operations, including production digital print, satellite digital print centers, U.S. mailing, and fulfillment/shipping. Works closely with the Print Production Supervisor and Operations Manager to ensure day-to-day production operations are efficient and timely, printed products meet the highest quality standards, and mailing meets required postal regulations. Leads efforts to analyze and implement new business processes or strategies as needed to ensure efficient day-to-day operations. Evaluates potential improvements to software, equipment, and staffing levels that advance the level of quality and cost-effectiveness of operations. This position requires strong leadership balanced with excellent problem-solving and communication skills. The position reports to the Operations Manager.
20% Supervision/Performance Management—Digital Print
- Supervises day-to-day operations of main shop production digital print.
- Works closely with lead digital print operators to schedule projects and ensure timely completion.
- Supervises satellite digital print centers.
- Addresses concerns and provides assistance with unique print projects in centers.
- Coordinates transfer of work between centers or between main shop digital print and a center.
- Evaluates equipment, production processes, supplies, and maintenance plans; researches and recommends options for main shop and digital print centers.
- Acts as vendor liaison, managing ongoing relationships and holding vendors accountable for pricing and service.
20% Supervision/Performance Management—Mailing
- Manages mail operations.
- Assist with warehouse/fulfillment operations.
- Oversees special departmental projects and initiatives.
- Acts as main point of organizational contact with USPS.
- Drives technological changes and maintains departmental technology requirements, including: implementing USPS technology mandates and updates, maintaining adequate computer software/hardware across the department, monitoring the departmental website for needed updates, and maintaining billing/accounting software.
- Works closely with Operations Manager to assess and implement needed software and hardware improvements.
20% Supervision/Performance Management—General
- Determines staffing requirements, interviews, hires, motivates, and trains full-time and student staff.
- Researches, evaluates, and implements new technologies, procedures, and processes to maintain efficiencies and take advantage of technological advancements in printing and mailing.
- Sets expectations and builds a culture of cooperation and teamwork, encouraging excellent customer service and creative problem solving.
- Uses coaching and disciplinary measures appropriately, resolving issues promptly and consulting management when necessary.
- Provides technology updates and safety training, and supports additional staff development opportunities.
- Provides frequent and consistent feedback and utilizes standard performance management tools.
- Evaluates price structures, comparing them against outside vendors and making adjustments as needed.
- Reviews and analyzes financial statements and other performance indices to measure productivity and determine areas requiring process improvement.
- Manages labor-represented staff, accurately implementing policies and procedures.
- Coordinates work scheduling and vacation/sick scheduling.
- Helps coordinate timing with prepress, bindery, A&M staff, and Print Production Supervisor.
- Communicates consistently with digital print center operators.
- Maintains a high level of customer service by utilizing expert knowledge of USPS and UPS rules, timing, and pricing structures; promptly responds to verbal and written inquiries; independently troubleshoots and resolves complex issues where no boilerplate resolutions exist.
- Works closely with University departmental staff to advise and consult on mailing issues.
- Participates in and provides input through workshops, website updates, and newsletters.
- Communicates effectively with customers, consultants, vendors and staff, providing information and making recommendations.
- Works closely with staff to ensure a high level of customer service.
- Works closely with sales consultants, schedulers, Mailing Production Supervisor, and production staff to plan for the successful completion of unique and time-sensitive projects.
- Anticipates and plans for future needs of the operation, recommending beneficial updates that improve equipment, supplies, and operational processes.
- Models and encourages creative problem solving among staff.
- Ensures that facilities and equipment are well organized and maintained.
- Stays informed about technical advancements and trends in the marketplace and makes informed recommendations.
- Works collaboratively with the management team to develop and implement strategies.
- Works with Operations Manager to closely align the staffing and services of Printing Services and Addressing & Mailing Services; determines opportunities to gain efficiencies and implement strategies.
- Supports and contributes to process improvement and change management.
- Participates in long-term planning and strategy development, balancing evolving technologies and budgetary considerations.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, and participating in professional groups.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to identify departmental priorities and make decisions to ensure work efforts and resources are employed affectively in a non-unionized setting, delegating, coaching, and motivating.
- Personal characteristics that distinguish the incumbent as being an effective leader: team builder, customer-driven, decisive, results-oriented, and committed to improvement.
- Management style that fosters collaborative decision-making, participation, and employee engagement.
- Technically skilled and able to apply software programs to support business processes.
- Experienced in developing and utilizing job management programs.
- Highly developed conflict management, negotiation, and problem resolution skills.
- Proven written, verbal, interpersonal, and persuasion skills.
- Ability to balance multiple work demands and adapt to latest technology; willingness to learn new techniques, software, and processes.
RR DONNELLEY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Five years of professional experience in performing various operational, supervisory, and/or administrative functions or similar programs in a printing and mailing environments OR a related combination of education and work experience to equal nine years. Knowledge of the latest digital printing and mailing practices and techniques. Proven supervisory and communication skills. Previous supervisory experience required.