Under limited supervision, brazes together components to assemble metal parts as specified by layout, work order, or blueprints, using hand torch.
- Aligns and clamps work pieces together or sets up and places workpieces in fixtures, jigs, or vise.
- Cleans joints of work pieces using wire brush or files.
- Connects hoses from torch to regulator valves and cylinders of oxygen and specified fuel gas, acetylene or natural gas.
- Turns valves to start flow of gases, lights flame, and adjusts pressure and mixture of gases to obtain desired color and size of flame.
- Brushes flux onto joint of work piece or dips braze rod into flux to prevent oxidation of metal.
- Examines seam and re-brazes defective joints. May braze together broken parts and cover holes to repair leaks. May melt and separate brazed joints, using hand torch, remove and straighten components, and re-braze joints to repair misaligned or damaged assemblies.
- Completes appropriate internal control documents including Final Inspection Sheets and Quality Control Sheets
- Conducts tests and inspections of products, or processes to evaluate quality or performance; examines products or work to verify conformance to specifications.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance on machines as scheduled and required for TPM.
- Works individually and as a team to develop and implement quality and efficiency improvements.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); with one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience with production processes torch brazing or torch soldering.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, proportions and decimals. Ability and understanding of various measuring devices in meeting drawing dimensions and specifications.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as blueprints, work orders, work instructions, diagrams, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Good verbal and written communication skills are necessary.
- Work requires continual attention to detail in follow through, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.