The purpose of this job description is to describe the authority, responsibilities, and duties of the Art Director in Creative Services.
Art Directors are selected and placed into their position by a Creative Director and the Managing Director of Creative Services. This position works under General Direction, providing overview of end result; work is completed unsupervised. Incumbent uses independent judgment and discretion to accomplish tasks. Plans/schedules/arranges own activities. Has considerable latitude of discretion and judgment within scope of position. Develops solutions to complex problems.
To successfully create high-quality and effective advertising for agency clients. Working in tandem with a Copywriter partner, the Art Director transforms compelling and imaginative concepts into visual reality.
Produce exceptional work for clients, both creatively as well as effectively, in multiple media types including, but not limited to, print, digital, outdoor, and collateral.
Help the agency win new business through bold, innovative work, as well as effective presentations.
Demonstrate proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat on a Mac OSX platform.
Collaborate with graphic design and production personnel in the translation of concepts to print-ready mechanical files.
- Create compelling art that activates consumers to shop and ultimately purchase the clients offerings.
- Maintain best practices for file and server management, including the consistent application of naming conventions, file/folder organization, versioning control, job slugs, and more.
- Maintain client brand guidelines and design standards.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- Maintain important relationships with internal department colleagues and clients to help the agency move the relationship to one of value and respect.
- Help the agency develop strong and positive relationships in the advertising and marketing community to aid in the recruitment of top talent.
- Possess a positive attitude when working with colleagues, associates, and clients. Be solutions-oriented, and supportive in finding solutions to unexpected challenges.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required and/or 2+ years experience with an advertising or design company.
- A strong portfolio of creative that demonstrates originality, innovation, problem-solving, and personal expression.
- Knowledge of file format types, such as PDF, TIF, EPS, JPG, PNG, GIF, etc. and how to create/edit them.
- Proficiency with image manipulation, color-correction, scanning, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, utilize resources, identify and address problems, meet deadlines, and stay within budget.
- Proficiency with software applications used for advertising, such as Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Strong interpersonal skills; a team player, positive and innovative thinker.
- Highly motivated and a high level of initiative; ability to work independently, in support of the agency’s creative goals and the client’s business objectives.
The responsibilities are many, various, and not limited to those written in this document.