Newport Aquarium, one of the many properties owned by Herschend Family Entertainment, prides itself on working towards bringing families closer together and to creating memories worth repeating. Our Core Values – greatly exceeding guest expectations, serving others, creating emotional connections, constantly improving – give us purpose and guidance.
The position requires a talented individual who possesses both the dive skills and gregarious kid-oriented personality required to play the role of Scuba Santa inside the Surrounded by Sharks exhibit. The individual will take direction from the Dive Safety Officer and Guest Service Supervisor, and will follow all dive safety protocols and specific Scuba Santa protocols. The individual is responsible for portraying the role of Scuba Santa (including live speaking roles) to the specifications of the Guest Service Supervisor and in a manner that best represents the Newport Aquarium.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Portray the role of Scuba Santa based specifications provided by the Guest Service Supervisor.
- Perform Scuba Santa dive shows as scheduled by the Dive Safety Officer.
- Represent the Newport Aquarium and the role of Scuba Santa in a professional fun loving manner.
- Model appropriate behaviors near open water exhibits and handle animals gently.
- Communicate and maintain working relationships with educators, students, guests, team members, supervisors, volunteers, other departments, and colleagues in related industries.
- Communicate well in an environment, which may include loud noises, large crowds and varying settings.
- Provide excellent and accurate customer service.
- Direct questions, suggestions or grievances through appropriate procedures and channels.
- Notify the appropriate person if unable to work, due to illness, vacation, resignation or leave of absence.
- Represent Newport Aquarium in a professional manner, including dress code, behavior and timeliness.
- Perform in accordance with all protocols, policies and operating procedures of Newport Aquarium.
- Must be 18 years or older, Advanced Open Water certified, CPR and First Aid Certified (No online certifications will be accepted)
- Must follow safe diving practices at all times.
- Must complete assessments (Buoyancy Assessments and Written Assessments) to the satisfaction of the safety standards.
- Must be able to assemble and don equipment, and enter and exit the exhibits unassisted.
- Must complete Diver Emergency Training to the satisfaction of the safety standards.
- Must be able to hear and respond to the Diver Recall.
- Must complete any additional safety training paperwork for safety critical positions and be signed off by the DSO
- Pass an audition for Scuba Santa as directed by the Guest Service Supervisor.
- Must be an active Dive Show Presenter during the non-Scuba Santa season and possess knowledge of the Newport Aquarium’s animal collection, particularly in the Surrounded by Sharks exhibit.
- Minimum of 25 dives in the Surrounded by Sharks exhibit.
- Complete Full Face Mask (FFM) training.
- Ability to perform in front of large crowds and on camera.
- Must use professional Scuba Santa etiquette both in and out of character.
- Completion of pre-employment background check and drug test.
- Physically capable of wearing 100 pounds of SCUBA equipment.
- Ability to remain on feet for long periods of time (up to 4 hours), climb stairs, bend and stoop.
- Must be able to rescue another diver while in full Scuba Santa gear. Must wear fins if there is only one safety diver.
- Diver Medical Form must be current and signed by appropriate medical personnel.
- Divers must notify the Dive Safety Office when taking any prescription medication, including but not limited to narcotics that are a contraindication to diving, driving or operating machinery.
- Must have completed all Diver training necessary to dive in the Surrounded by Sharks exhibit.