SUMMARY: Performs and/or assists Maintenance Supervisor in maintaining residential apartment communities while also performing specific carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, masonry, and appliance repairs, maintaining, repairing the physical structures of buildings and grounds by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES are listed below and will always include those specifically assigned by the immediate supervisor.
- Regular attendance to work
- Will be available to report to appointed location within appointed time frame
- Assist the Maintenance Supervisor in maintaining inventory, inventory controls and completing all assigned tasks
- Repairs cabinets, counter tops, doors, trims, and other wood structures
- Assembles, installs and repairs pipes, fittings, and fixtures for heating, water, and drainage
- Repairs fences, gates, walls and walkways
- Follow the Fair Housing Act always
- Performs work in response to Maintenance Service Requests as directed by Maintenance Supervisor
- Acknowledges receipt of all goods and materials delivered to the property for maintenance repairs
- Complete all service requests within one (1) business day except in extraordinary circumstances
- Perform all maintenance and repair work (major and routine) for the apartments, supportive buildings, common areas, breezeways, irrigation systems, and grounds
- Complete turnkey work in vacant apartments which includes but is not limited to debris removal, repairs & replacement, paint, lock & key rotation and inspection. Follow the Make Ready Procedure. Coordinate housekeeping and carpet & floors repairs as needed with vendors and Community Manager
- Ensure the maintenance shop is neat and organized when work completed at all locations
- Notify Community Manager of all conditions that are unsafe or are areas of concern. Include your recommendations for resolving the situation
- Participates in after hours and emergency response
- Perform and complete Preventive Maintenance Report quarterly on all units, leasing office, laundry facility
- Creates and maintains a positive environment for staff and promotes a high quality of rental-living experience for the residents
- Assists porter/housekeeper as directed
- Cleans and maintains swimming pools and spas
- Creates and maintains a positive environment for team members and promotes a high quality of rental-living experience for the residents
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position has limited supervisory responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: Knowledge of electrical and mechanical aspects of appliance repair, knowledge of HVAC troubleshooting and repairs, basic understanding and competency in: electricity, refrigeration, plumbing, carpentry, appliance repair, and irrigation systems. Must be available to work in an “on call” capacity as related to our 24-hour routine maintenance guarantee. Pool operation and maintenance experience preferred.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures and governmental regulations. Ability to write legibly and clearly. Ability to communicate with residents and other team members.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, rent per square foot and other basic math.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of frequently conflicting priorities. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to deal with residents in an empathetic, professional manner. A good understanding of customer service concepts and applicability will be necessary in this position.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Complete and pass the Fair Housing Test
- Valid state driver's license
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the functions of this position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee is frequently exposed to high-pressure demands from the property owner to maintain high occupancy (95%) while promoting positive resident relations. Employee may be subject to frequent complaints and concerns from residents. Employee will be required at times to work overtime to complete reporting assignments (ALL OVERTIME MUST BE APPROVED BY CORPORATE OFFICE BEFORE WORKING).
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be able to lift objects up to 100 lbs.
- Must be able to bend, stoop and twist into small areas
- Must be able to bend forward when picking up objects from ground, etc.,
- Must be able to reach overhead for extended period due to overhead repair work
- Basic computer knowledge necessary to enter and retrieve data from a computer and to program access gate and security systems via a computer
- Must have own tools
- Even temperament
- Team player
- Flexible, Patient, and Organized
- Detail oriented
- Good communication skills
- Good listening skills
- Able to work weekends
- Able to work overtime when approved
- Able to follow posted work rules
- Able to lead and manage others
ALL OTHER FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB
- Works diligently to secure best pricing for parts and labor as needed
- Assist and follow all Emergency Procedures
- Assist Community Manager in other duties as deemed necessary by property circumstances or situations
- Interact with residents on service calls and see that they are satisfied with the maintenance work
- Assist in the scheduling process of all other vendors and contractors as directed by the Community/Property Manager
- A strong emphasis on customer service in every action on the job; and help instill this value in team members