This position performs instrument and controls and controls system design (PLC and DCS) activities in support of electric generating power plant capital improvement, modification, retrofit, or new construction projects. As part of a project team, will have engineering responsibilities for equipment design, specification, and installation to meet project requirements. May be involved in project activities from initial planning and budget estimating, through project design, factory acceptance testing, installation, commissioning, and project close-out. Coordinates, provides design inputs, and performs design review and detailed checks when design is performed by outside party. May assist or perform troubleshooting and diagnostics on instruments as control systems.
- Performs engineering analysis and design calculations or computations for compliance with project requirements, codes, standards, and engineering practice.
- Conducts site surveys to gather field data, verify condition, and requirements.
- Develops instrument and controls system plans, control system architecture, specifies materials, equipment, and installation/construction requirements.
- Marks up existing drawings and/or has new drawings created for detailing project work.
- May develop new or revise existing control description narratives.
- Specifies material, equipment, installation/construction, quality assurance and inspection for the project work.
- Identifies and specifies items for demolition or abandonment; and method or condition of abandonment.
- Coordinates with project manager, project team, plant members, and other business units and stakeholders to execute the project work.
- Communicates and coordinates with suppliers, vendors, and installation contractors.
- Perform factory acceptance tests.
- Reviews and approves final/as built drawings and records and assures accurate and complete drawings/records/documents are archived for asset configuration control.
- Reviews, comments on, and approves vendor or third party supplied design, material, equipment, and drawings.
- Creates and updates engineering standards and guidelines.
- Prepares and interprets schematics, drawings, layouts, instrument lists, I/O database(s), or other aids.
- May mentor or direct lower level Engineers in project work. Acts as a resource for members with less experience, may direct the technical complexities of work.
- Provides technical presentations to internal or external stakeholders.
- May act in a liaison capacity with other departments, divisions, and organizations.
- Functions as quality inspector or defines quality requirements on engineering designs and projects.
- Reviews and critiques proposed changes to engineering standards, procedures and guidelines.
- Solves problems and develops solutions that call for original approach, based on thorough and comprehensive research and technical expertise.
- ABET accredited Bachelor's Degree in any Engineering discipline OR
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) in Electrical Engineering AND
- Minimum of five (5) years directly related experience engineering experience.
- Valid State Driver's License.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Familiarity manufacturer's control systems such as Allen-Bradley/Rockwell, Emerson Ovation, ABB, Siemens, and GE.
- Experience working in a large industrial environment such as a power plant, refinery, or chemical plant.
- Experience commissioning and troubleshooting control systems.
- Experience using SAP.
- Experience in data management.
- Experience in configuration control.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Able to communicate effectively in speech and writing with members at all levels throughout the organization and outside professionals.
- Self motivated.
- In depth knowledge and experience in multiple engineering initiatives.
- Able to work without supervision and make independent decisions.
- Strong project leadership skills.
- Ability to work within stringent deadlines.
- Able to manage multiple projects with shifting priorities.
- Interpersonal skills with the ability to interface with diverse personalities.
- Team Player.
- Strong problem solving, organizational and analytical skills.
- May require travel.
- May be required to work non-standard work schedules.
- May be exposed to extreme conditions and inclement weather.
- May be required to work at heights up to and exceeding thirty (30) feet, underground and in confined spaces.