POSITION TITLE: Manager, Finance – Business Cases
REPORTS TO: Sr. Director, FP&A and Operations (direct); Director, Project Management Excellence (matrix)
DATE LAST REVISED: September 4, 2019
EXEMPTION STATUS Exempt
The individual will lead the company’s business case process, ensuring that all business cases completely and accurately reflect the economics of the underlying business opportunities, with frequent reviews at Bendix Board level. Serving as the organization’s subject matter expert, this individual will partner with the product line leadership teams, providing training and guidance as required.
- Responsible to coordinate Bendix Business Cases regarding process standardization, supporting analytics, and auditing for completeness, compliance, and reasonability aligned to the overall business strategy.
- Presents business case findings to the Bendix Board on a regular basis.
- Coordinates with the business leaders on the efficacy of each business case, ensuring the economic value ascribed to each case is truly indicative of its worth to the business and representative of the true opportunities to the organization. This includes reviewing project business cases for financial integrity, including assumptions, resources, costs, etc. Validate financial metrics (NPV, IRR, payback) and resource requirements for accuracy at start of project and on an ongoing basis.
- Design and implement sustainable processes that are in compliance with the company’s business development policy.
- Audit project business cases and spending requests (PARS) to actual project spending to date.
- Ensures the data integrity for assigned projects, programs and portfolios; reviews cost data and ensures correctness and consistency between the various Portfolio/Project Management and various Financial Systems; identifies and performs corrective action for accounting errors if necessary.
- Partners with the business to facilitate the annual budget process for assigned projects; coordinates and reviews with the project managers, product business management and financial support; acts as liaison between PMO and Finance and ensures newly adopted budgets are consistent with the working budget and all working budget amendments.
- Liaison between project teams and cost accounting to ensure accurate and timely costs for products included in projects.
- Works with the R&D Accountant to ensure correct IFRS 15 – Revenue Recognition and IAS 38 – Intangible Assets (Capitalization of Development costs) calculation for Quarterly and Annual financial reporting requirements, as well as adhering to US GAAP requirements and R&D tax credits.
- Publishes key portfolio financial metrics to management and key financial metrics to project teams for review and reconciliation to plans. Provide support of project system requirements and ensures alignment of local system requirements with parent company project reporting requirements.
- Prepare various portfolio presentations for project teams and management reviews.
- Assist in identifying, evaluating and implementing process improvements.
- Expert in building business cases, strategic planning and financial analytics.
- Expert knowledge of variance analysis and presentation.
- Excellent working knowledge in cost accounting systems and techniques.
- Extensive knowledge of discounted cash flow valuation of investment projects, capital projects and sourcing.
- Knowledge of data warehouses, data extract tools, report writing applications and other accounting-related software applications.
- Knowledge of Agile Project Framework and methodology.
- Knowledgeable in SAP FI/CO, SAP PLM, and Project Management tools.
- 10+ years of experience in public accounting or manufacturing environment.
- Experience in working in a matrix business environment with central and business focused support teams.
- Possesses strong analytical skills, problem-solving and entrepreneurial mindset.
- Excellent project/process management skills including planning and organizational skills.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office – expertise in Excel and strong in PowerPoint.
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and requirements by being adaptable and flexible.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Must be able to deliver detailed material in a concise, professional presentation style.
- Able to effectively develop and communicate goals and give updates to all levels of management.
- A self-starter who is action and customer oriented and has a strong sense of urgency.
- Possesses exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Must be able to manage and improve processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business-related field required.
- MBA/CPA Preferred.
- Green Belt or Black Belt certification a plus.
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.