The temporary Human Resource Assistant/Specialist performs human resources related duties and provides excellent employee service in assigned areas including but not limited to payroll, benefit administration, and HRIS. This position is responsible for the setup, processing, reporting and reconciliation of the payroll and benefit administration for all CHSU salaried and hourly employees. Ensures compliance with employment standards, federal and state laws and regulations as well as assisting with the implementation of policies and procedures in accordance with the mission, core values, and purposes of the university.
- Responsible for the full scope of accurate and timely, beginning to end, semi-monthly payroll processing for the University.
- Manage the processes for on-boarding new hires into payroll/HRIS, entering personnel changes, personnel transactions, completing employment verifications, maintaining employee files, and background checks.
- Oversee the maintenance of current employee data systems, ensure all payroll information and records are maintained in accordance with statutory requirements.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and policies and with statutory reporting and periodic filing requirements.
- Ensures Time & Attendance system is operational, current and accurate in all locations.
- Coordinate and complete special projects, audits, mandatory notices and compliance reporting.
- Educate employees on benefits programs including managing, scheduling, and conducting benefit orientation for all new or newly eligible employees.
- Answer employee benefits questions and resolve issues and concerns.
- Reconciliation of employee coverage to billings for carriers. Work with Accounting Department to ensure allocations are correct.
- In coordination with the Director of Human Resources, lead the Open Enrollment process and ensure timely processing of open enrollment changes, additions, etc.
- Enroll new employees in benefit plans and update information.
- Prepare all benefit termination packets, including notifying the University’s third-party COBRA administrator.
- Run monthly benefit reports and assist in benefit correspondence.
- Administer the day-to-day aspects of the retirement plans including enrollment, contribution funding, deferral rate changes, maintaining up-to-date beneficiary information, distribution of appropriate notices, account rollovers, loans, etc.
- Perform plan audits; prepare, collect and organize data for auditors.
- Serve as day-to-day contact for benefit vendors and employees.
- Ensure ACA reporting is accurate and current in HRIS; verify annual 1095c and review for accuracy, approval and distribution.
- Coordinate Benefits Surveys as required.
OTHER HUMAN RESOURCES
- Complete annual EEO-1 reporting.
- Develop/help run reports to meet various levels of management requests for HR-related information.
- Preparation and processing of year end reports and reconciliations.
- Organize and maintain various filing systems including electronic files, payroll files, and employee files
- Facilitate and participate in audits as required
- Ensure company compliance with federal and state laws, including reporting requirements.
- Special projects and tasks as assigned to meet business needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business, accounting or related field preferred, or equivalent years of work experience in human resources; and
- Minimum of two years of human resources experience specifically in payroll and benefits administration.
- Prior experience with Paylocity or other similar mid-size HRIS/payroll systems.
Skills & Experience
The HR Specialist must possess the following skills and attributes:
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work with people at all levels of an organization;
- Communication - Listening to others and communicating both verbally and/or written in an effective manner that fosters understanding and collaboration.
- Continuous Learning - Identifying and addressing personal strengths, developmental needs and changing circumstance to enhance performance and career growth.
- Problem Solving – Ability to research rules and procedures and apply them in diverse situations.
- Must have a commitment to working collaboratively, supporting others in the department, working hard, and being passionate about human resources and the University.
- High level of skill in handling sensitive and confidential situations/information with the demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- At a minimum, intermediate proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook; experience with PowerPoint a plus.
- Ability to draft emails, letters, memos, etc. in a professional manner with attention to grammar and detail.
- Detail oriented with a high level of accuracy.
- Flexible and able to prioritize workload based on urgency and importance.
- Friendly and easygoing with the ability to work well with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Knowledge of office administration procedures with an ability to be detail-oriented and highly organized.
- Working knowledge and experience with HRIS, internet sourcing and research.
- Strong Affordable Care Act knowledge.
THIS TEMPORARY POSITION OFFERS COMPETITIVE WAGE BASED ON EXPERIENCE.
Founded in 2012, California Health Sciences University (CHSU) is proud to be the first university of its kind in the Central Valley! Our new and innovative University is rapidly developing and expanding, enabling our administration, faculty, and staff to have plentiful opportunities for growth and development.
With our Doctor of Pharmacy program and our College of Osteopathic Medicine, we have many opportunities available now and we will continue to offer new opportunities over the next five to ten years as we continue to grow.
CHSU plans to open up to 10 post-graduate colleges to train health care professionals in the coming years. The timing and specific discipline for each new school will be determined based on the need and opportunity for job placement within the region.
Located in California’s beautiful and diverse Central Valley, our employees enjoy affordable cost of living, while being within close proximity of beaches, mountains and large metropolitan cities.