This Senior Tax Accountant will be autonomous and will be the main point person for all tax related matters and questions that will include, but not be limited to, Sales and Use Tax, Value Added Tax, Personal Property Tax, Federal and State Income Taxes, IC-DISC, State Contractors Licenses, Tax Equalization for expatriated employees, R&D Tax Credit project, Payroll tax questions, etc. This person will work with various external accounting firms in relation to these tax issues.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Organize tax research and tax planning with minimal supervision.
- Provide direction, technical guidance, tax advisory assistance to less experienced staff on Sales Tax (to AP, Purchasing and AR).
- Review Sales and Use Tax, Personal Property Tax, VAT work of less experienced staff. File Sales and Use Tax and Personal Property Tax returns.
- Provide direction and technical guidance to members of Sales Team and/or Project Management Team to resolve questioned tax matters with customers (ex: Domestic Sales Tax, State registration requirements, Foreign WH tax, Foreign VAT tax, Foreign Permanent Establishment & registration requirements).
- Recognize, anticipate and resolve tax issues; make recommendations. Advise management on needed actions.
- Comply with federal, state and local requirements.
- Analyze and respond to state notices and assist in state audit requests.
- Collect and analyze financial information for federal, state, local and special tax returns. Prepare documentation and coordinate filings with CPA firm.
- Communicate with attorneys and tax specialists.
- Assist with preparing monthly financial statements and reports as needed.
- Prepare required items for annual IC-DISC filing.
- Liaise with CPA firm on tax equalization for expatriated employees.
- Research requirements, qualifications, and tax implications for various states, as they come up, and complete required registrations.
- Research and respond to various payroll tax questions, inquiries and concerns.
- Participate in R&D tax credit project.
- Stay updated on changes related to payroll, sales and income tax laws and regulations.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed, including special projects.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote a positive working environment in order to achieve the organization’s goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Safely commute between St. Louis, MO Headquarters and our manufacturing facility in Red Bud, IL.
- Develop and maintain relationships with employees at all locations.
- Conduct activities in a safe and healthy manner and work in accordance with established safety and company requirements.
Work is performed in an office and uncontrolled atmosphere. Exposure to harsh conditions—such as: dust, fumes, chemicals, hazardous materials, noise, and varying weather and temperatures—for short periods of time is possible. All employees are required to follow safety standards and wear all personal protective equipment in designated areas.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, use hands and fingers, grip, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk and hear. Ability to lift and carry 10 lbs. on a regular basis is required.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILL / ABILITY / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; Masters in Taxation preferred.
- Three (3) or more years of public accounting with multi-state and/or international tax experience.
- CPA certification preferred.
- Must maintain a professional appearance.
- Must have a positive attitude and cooperate well.
- Must be trustworthy and able to maintain confidential information.
- Must be responsible and reliable.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking.
- Excellent communication, both oral and written.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent organization and planning.
- Effective time management.
- Requires a strong ability to multi-task and flexibility to learn and accept other duties.
- Ability to effectively learn and acquire new knowledge and skills.
- Strong math skills and confidence when working with numbers.
- Excellent computer skills and an in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Windows based programs.
- Prior experience with Viewpoint Construction Software (Vista) is a plus.
- Must comply with Roeslein’s core values for the safe and efficient operation of the business and maintain sound relationships among and with employees.