The Structural Designer III leads steel design and drawing development efforts and drives the design process as described under essential duties and responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Application of knowledge/understanding of building design methods, drawings and details
- Inspect fabrication for conformance to design at our manufacturing plant in Red Bud, IL.
- Knowledge and application of AISC and PIP standards
- Familiarity with details of project scope and able to define engineering change orders
- Knowledge and application of standard steel lengths, units, etc. as available from the mill/steel suppliers
- Mastery of Roeslein standards and assist with developments and updates to standards
- Create company specific model shapes/assemblies/connection CAD elements
- Apply scripting/programming knowledge in the incorporation of lisp routines for improved efficiency
- Drive the design with priority on modularization, ease of fabrication, constructability and cost effectiveness
- Drive the assembly and review of design packages
- Assist with development of proposals including input on design concept and creation of preliminary drawing lists
- Serve as conduit between fabrication shop and engineering team for RFIs and revisions
- Create detail drawings to be issued to shop for fabrication
- Prepare DXF and NC1 Files for automated equipment fabrication
- Apply knowledge of OSHA requirements regarding walkways, stairs, guardrail / handrail design, and steel erection
- Utilize software such as Navisworks, REVIT and/or AutoCAD for drafting, design and coordination
- Work closely with structural engineer to translate analytical model into constructible design
- Coordinate structural design with all disciplines (mechanical, structural, electrical, instrumental) throughout project
- Develop 3D models for structural steel framed systems and for skidded systems
- Create engineering design drawings including development of Isometrics, Plans, Elevations, Sections and Details
- Develop grating layout plans and work with grating fabricators on details
- Develop Bill of Materials (Material Take Offs – MTO’s) and submit for purchasing as required
- Assist with the assembly and review of design packages
- Check and review shop/fabrication drawings
- Travel domestically and internationally ranging from 0-10% per year
- Document and update drawings for Record (“As-Builts”)
- Develop and maintain relationships with employees at all locations
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote a positive working environment in order to achieve the organization’s goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Work is performed in an office and uncontrolled atmosphere. Exposure to harsh conditions—such as: dust, fumes, chemicals, hazardous materials, noise, and varying weather and temperatures—for short periods of time is possible. Must be able to travel to job sites both domestically and internationally; living accommodations in some foreign assignments may not meet expected U.S. standards. All employees are required to follow safety standards and wear all personal protective equipment in designated areas.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. While performing the duties of this position, the employee will is regularly required to walk, stand, use hands and fingers, grip, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk and hear; and work in a consistent state of alertness and in a safe manner. Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. on a regular basis is required.
SKILL/ KNOWLEDGE/ ABILITY/ EDUCATION/ EXPERIENCE:
- Associate’s degree in CAD technology is required.
- Seven (7) to ten (10) years of experience is required.
- AutoCad design experience is required.
- Proficiency is required with steel design software such as REVIT, TEKLA, or Advance Steel
- Excellent communication skills; both oral and written is required.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills are required.
- Computer skills and an in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Windows based programs are required.
- Ability to work flexible hours with some weekend and holiday work required.
- Requires effective time management skills, personal conduct, and change management abilities.
- Ability to effectively interact with co-workers, clients, vendors, and other business contacts.
- Must comply with Roeslein & Associate’s core values for the safe and efficient operation of the business and maintain sound relationships among and with employees.
- Assist in creation of preliminary project drawing list