TITLE: ReRegional Communication Specialist
DIV/DEPT: Global Operations
LOCATION: Country Office in the Africa Region
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Regional Director
The Regional Communications Specialist will be at the heart of creating content that advances ChildFund International’s communication strategy, advocacy, and fundraising priorities. S/He will be responsible for creating and developing compelling digital and traditional media content which engages audiences in a dynamic and interactive way and sparks conversation and engagement around issues related to the organization’s core intent, the region’s programs and advocacy initiatives, and enhances visibility and brand recognition.
Remain alert and responsive to any child safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills which will enable you to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child safeguarding policy and procedures, and conduct yourself in a manner consistent with the Child Safeguarding Policy.
REGIONAL COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGY
- Develop and implement a regional communications strategy to focus on building the communications and visibility capacity of country offices and building and managing a network of effective media relations.
- Build the communications and visibility capacity of Country Offices to project a unified image and message, that establishes the organization as a leading professional, non-sectarian, child focused, international development organization.
- Build and manage a network of effective media relations and coordinate activities with public relations professionals and focal points in ChildFund’s offices.
- Develop, implement and maintain a regional online communication presence using the web and social networks.
- Lead new approaches to creating and distributing multi-media content related to ChildFund regionally.
CONTENT CREATION AND MANAGEMENT
- Create and deliver content – stories, photos, video, quotes, and other information – that help the organization build and nurture relationships with donors and the general public, globally. Proactively share stories and visual assets with the International Office and Alliance partners. Provide high-quality English translations of all story material.
- Storyteller – visual and written. In accordance with the global content calendar, provide oversight and support to country offices for the collection of stories, photos and video about children and their experiences of the sponsorship relationship and ChildFund’s programs, to show impact and build donor trust as well as engagement.
- Write, edit, and oversee the production of publications such as newsletters, annual report, brochures, policy planning reports, etc.
- Manage the preparation and distribution of information, communications and visibility materials to special interest groups, governments, public, donor agencies, and foundations in coordination with the International Office and Country Offices.
- Provide oversight and support to country offices regarding coaching local partner staff on capturing and sharing stories, photos and videos about children and their experiences of the sponsorship relationship and ChildFund’s programs.
- Ensure that all content deliverables comply with branding guidelines, child safeguarding standards and other controls of the organization.
- Support Program, Business Development and Advocacy initiatives in creation of collaterals and other published material.
- Keep the International Office content contact apprised of regional initiatives, successes, events, holidays and other items of potential relevance to global communications, both internal and external.
- Manage rapid collection of child-focused quotes, stories, photo and video in the immediate aftermath of emergencies in the region/specific program countries.
- Act as brand ambassador, responsible for regional communications, including collateral print materials, regional digital channels and for managing regional media relations, all toward building the brand.
- In collaboration with Regional Director, manage Regional representation and influence at strategic networks and coalitions, making visible ChildFund programmatic interventions and advocacy issues. Networking and coalition building would be a required precondition for policy reform. Position conceptualizes and executes strategic events at key moments to advance the policy agenda and visibility. Proactively creates, identifies and organizes engagements for senior ChildFund leaders to profile issues with relevant networks and policy and advocacy stakeholders to share ChildFund perspectives and increase organizational influence and profile.
- In collaboration with organization partners, serve as liaison between the organization and the media (press, radio and TV) and in security and crisis situations proactively prepare press statements and ensure appropriate placement.
- Create and deliver content for public messages and branding of ChildFund regionally.
- Raise awareness through media of the value and impact of major multi-country ChildFund projects in the region.
- Remain alert to potential reputation risks in the region’s program countries.
- Manage activities, communications, special events, workshops, meetings and conferences.
ALLIANCE RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
Proactively and frequently prepare timely updates for ChildFund International website and/or members of ChildFund Alliance.
In consultation and collaboration with Regional Program and Sponsorship Manager/Specialist and Fundraising and Engagement, determine creative and innovative ways to address reporting requirements for ChildFund International programs for Alliance partners using the SMART system (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely) and effective storytelling.RESOURCE MOBILIZATION
Generate compelling marketing collateral to support the Regional Director and the Senior Advisor for Country Fundraising.
REGIONAL INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS
- PROMOTE AND COORDINATE EFFECTIVE INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS ON BEHALF OF THE REGIONAL OFFICE, INCLUDING THE REGION’S CHILDFUND SHARE SITE.CHILD SAFEGUARDING
- REMAIN ALERT AND RESPONSIVE TO ANY CHILD SAFEGUARDING RISKS, ACQUIRE RELEVANT KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS WHICH WILL ENABLE YOU TO PROMOTE STRONG SAFEGUARDING PRACTICES, UNDERSTAND THE CHILD SAFEGUARDING POLICY AND PROCEDURES, AND CONDUCT YOURSELF IN A MANNER CONSISTENT WITH THE CHILD SAFEGUARDING POLICY
- Minimum of 7 years of media relations experience (both print and broadcast media required); two years with an international development organization preferred.
- Demonstrated excellent English writing skills, other languages an advantage.
- Demonstrated knowledge of global media; direct experience in working with media representatives.
- Demonstrated diplomacy in working with diverse cultures and audiences and sensitive situations and subject matter.
- Skill in print quality photography and video techniques.
- Knowledge of international development work particularly in relation to concepts and practices of development of children’s well-being, child protection, emergency response and humanitarian space.
- Familiarity with project cycle management.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including Excel, Word and Outlook, as well as desktop and web-based publishing, photo and video editing tools.EDUCATION/CERTIFICATIONSBachelor’s degree or higher required in Public Relations/Journalism/Corporate Communications/ Marketing Relations or related field.SUPPORT
- The Communication specialist can draw on the support of global team members in the development of his/her responsibilities. Preferably these global team members provide input into recruitment, performance planning and evaluation. The primary global team members for this position will be:
- Fundraising and engagement (external communication):
- Strategy (internal communications):
ChildFund International is committed to safeguarding the interests, rights, and well-being of children with whom it is in contact and to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for children.
DISCLAIMER:_ This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position._