Under general supervision, assist in developing, implementing, communicating, supporting and maintaining the organization’s environmental protection and management systems programs. Work with site environmental and management staff to provide timely and accurate guidance to resolve issues.
- Review written policies, procedures, and plans and recommend improvements on a routine and as needed basis to assure compliance with applicable federal, state and local regulations and industry standards.
- Coordinate with Corporate Training Director to administer environmental and management system training via a Learning Management System (LMS) and external resources where applicable to meet applicable regulatory requirements and industry standards. Assist in content review and development, as well as vendor selection and content delivery.
- Provide technical expertise, consultation and coaching to site environmental and management staff on topics including, but not limited to, incident investigations, self-assessments/inspections, internal and external audit preparation, environmental compliance strategies, risk management, permit/plan management, etc.
- Perform and manage the relevant aspects of the Corporate Audit program, including but not limited to: coordination of audits with plant management and safety staff, observation of safe operations, review of recordkeeping and safety program documentation, tracking and verification of actions to close audit findings, and continuous improvement of audit protocols.
- Provide technical expertise, consultation and coaching to site environmental and management staff on topics related to maintaining environmental compliance, sustaining management systems and promoting environmental sustainability, such as but not limited to:
- Air emission permitting and management (lead, mold, Title V, ROSS, HAPs, etc.),
- Emergency management (RMP, EPCRA, Tier I and II, TRI, SPCC Plans, etc.),
- Land management (ASTs RCRA, hazardous, non-hazardous, special and universal waste management, USTs, CERCLA, etc.),
- Toxic substances management (TCSA, PCB, asbestos, etc.),
- Water management (SDWA, groundwater, stormwater, wastewater, etc.),
- Sustainability (energy and water conservation, waste minimization, GHG management, etc.) and
- Management systems (ISO 14001, ISO 45001/OHSAS 18001)
- Track and trend performance metrics to measure compliance with regulatory requirements and corporate standards related to environmental related permits/plans, management systems and sustainability. Coordinate and validate metrics with site environmental and management staff for reporting to corporate and site management teams. Identify opportunities to set objectives and targets to continuously improve these metrics.
- Assist in any investigation and closure of alleged environmental violations with federal, state and/or local regulatory agencies, as needed.
- Manage external consultants to perform approved environmental reporting, plan or permit preparation, and/or process/procedure changes.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Manager, Corporate EHS.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in a similar role, managing environmental in a corporate or plant environmental
- Manufacturing and/or food industry experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of governmental environmental compliance regulations and their influence on manufacturing operations and policies.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both individually and in group settings, with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to resolve problems regarding policies, procedures and environmental programs.
- Must have interpersonal skills to influence participants and decision-makers.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of time.
- Bachelor’s degree in occupational safety, environmental science, or related disciplines.
- Professional certifications preferred, such as Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM), Certified Hazardous Materials Practitioner (CHMP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Associate Safety Professional (ASP, etc.)
- Work is generally performed within a business professional office environment, with standard office equipment available.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, bend, walk, use hands or finger, talk, hear, feel objects, tools, or controls; may be required to lift up to 15 pounds. Vision abilities include close vision to a computer screen.
OSI believes all persons have the right to be treated with dignity and respect. It is the policy of OSI to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, national origin, gender, race, color, religion, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. All applicants will receive consideration for employment based on merit, qualifications and business needs. OSI participates in the E-Verify program.