PURPOSE OF POSITION
The purpose of this position is to must plan, implement and evaluate diagnostic and therapeutic respiratory services to assist physicians in the diagnosis and management of residents with cardiopulmonary and related disorders.
POSITION FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Understands ESPC Mission and Core Values and incorporates values into daily practice.
Continually strive to improve the organization’s systems and/or services.
Make decisions as a team to fulfill our mission, share recognition, and learn from failures.
Treat every resident, family member, and co-worker with dignity, respect, and courtesy.
Performs assessments and therapeutic modalities for infants, children, and adolescents as ordered or directed by a physician.
- Administers nebulized treatments, chest physiotherapy, oxygen therapy delivery in varies modalities, bag/mask ventilation, and other accepted treatments to maintain a patent airway.
- Monitors residents on various oxygen support systems. Is responsible for maintaining secure and patent resident airway to include performing nasal, nasotracheal, Endotracheal and oral suctioning. Administer techniques to induce sputum.
- Supports criteria(s) set for appropriate resident care and respiratory care services. Recognizes medical problems documents/ reports it to the charge nurse and physician in a timely manner.
- Sets up, stocks, and removes equipment, supplies; ensures equipment is functioning properly and is cleaned and stored appropriately.
Functions at all times as a team member, supporting peers and management to provide optimal, effective, and efficient respiratory care.
- Coordinate and /or supervise activities of assigned personnel.
- Participates in resident management decisions and plans. Recommends and requests physician evaluation and review of respiratory care services as appropriate.
- Accurately and completes updates resident information including documentation.
- Provides resident and family instruction and education in respiratory related disease processes and therapeutic procedures to be continued by resident at home.
- Functions as a member of the code blue team by providing effective airway access and management
Enhances professional growth in a manner that contributes to the overall success of the department.
- Participates in education programs and reviews of current literature.
- Attends and develops workshops and in-services designed to increase staff capabilities.
- Attends departmental and organizational meetings and participates in quality improvement teams as directed.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action in a timely fashion.
- Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel, and the general public.
- Must be knowledgeable of laws, regulations and guidelines pertaining to nursing home operation.
- Must possess the ability to plan, organize, develop, implement, and interpret the programs, goals, objectives, policies, procedures, etc.
- Must maintain the care and use of supplies, equipment, and appearance of work areas.
- Must be well groomed and have patience, tact, cheerful disposition and enthusiasm.
- Must be willing to seek out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing practices.
- Must not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Other related duties as may become necessary or as directed by your supervisor, department director, and/or administrator.
EDUCATION AND LICENSE/CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Associate Degree from an AMA accredited school for Respiratory Care
- Current New York State Registered Respiratory Therapist license
- BLS certification
- Registered by National Board for Respiratory Care
- 2+ years acute or long term care specifically with pediatrics