DeSales Media Group is the communications and technology arm of the Diocese of Brooklyn. Launched in 2011, it is the first such entity formed by a diocese in the U.S. Our mission is to use all forms of communication, media, and technology to lead Catholics to a deeper faith in Jesus Christ, inspire and generate greater attendance, support and interaction in parishes, schools, and organizations in the Diocese of Brooklyn and other dioceses regionally, nationally, and globally.
The CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER is responsible for DeSales Media's accounting, financial management, budgeting, risk management, and business operational oversight.
Our mission driven organization is looking for someone who will be responsible for taking on a leadership role in financial decision-making that guides us and will provide strategic financial and operational input to senior management and reports directly to the CEO.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee accounting and financial reporting, including financial statements, budgets, cash management, and preparation of expenditure responsibility reports and financial forecasts
- Supervision of accounting systems, software and the information included in each, including accounts payable, and account reconciliation for the organization
- Monitor compliance with Not for Profit rules, and IRS government regulations as applicable
- Create, track, and reconcile budget expenditures
- Act as liaison with outside accountants, legal counsel, and all bank account and financial relationships
- Supervise and manage the preparation of all financial activities. Create and present reports to CEO and Board of Directors as required
Administration and Personnel:
- Oversight of all business, including but not limited to service contracts, office management and supervision of Finance staff
- Supervision of payroll and all financial benefit procedures
- Report to the Board of Directors as needed
- Work with key members from the Diocese of Brooklyn to maintain and negotiate proper contracts and real estate documentation
- Partner with HR on all benefit decisions and hiring/compensation decisions
- Support CEO with daily decision making and special projects related to managing the business
- Carry out others tasks as shall be assigned from time to time
- 10+ years of Financial and/or Accounting experience in leadership roles, preferably in the not for profit sector
- BBA or BS Degree in Accounting or Finance
- MBA is a plus
- CPA Certification is preferred
- Has familiarity with capital markets, asset allocation and effective due diligence and knows non-for-profit accounting and tax related laws.
- Ability to maintain contact with other organizations regarding accounting, tax, investment and human resource development.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to understand and articulate accounting and tax compliance, budgeting, planning and operational business acumen to senior management.
- Extensive experience leading and supervising team members.
- You are collaborative and flexible in your management style and can manage team in a multi-task environment
- Ability to manage team performance and access staff's progress, motivate and be a key player in staff's development, training and mentoring effectively.
- Ability to multitask, strong analytical skills, use creative problem solving, sound judgement, and reprioritize within short notice to deliver under deadlines and for responsiveness to senior management.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to manage various projects simultaneously and independently from beginning to end.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- Ability to command the respect and support the activities of the CEO, Chairman, and Board of Directors.
- Maintains and protects the confidential culture of work-matters. Is collaborative and flexible in management style.
DeSales Media Group is the communications and technology arm of the Diocese of Brooklyn, publishing news and information with a Catholic point of view. Properties include the NET TV cable network; New York's Catholic news program "Currents;" The Tablet, the only weekly Catholic newspaper in New York City; the Nuestra Voz monthly Spanish-language newspaper; and the Catholic Telemedia Network which provides instructional media resources. The company also provides digital and creative infrastructure for Catholic schools and parishes in Brooklyn and Queens.