Responsible for assisting the Dentist in the clinical treatment of patients by providing high quality care. Assists with all general dentistry, oral surgery and other procedures under the direct supervision of a dentist. Prepares and arranges needed tools and instruments for scheduled procedures. Hands necessary tools and equipment to the dentist and provides assistance during treatment. Record Dentist findings, change barriers, and sterilize equipment.
Dental Assistant certification. Experience within a pediatric dental setting.
PREFERRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED
Experience in Front Office administration
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Welcoming patients in the dental office, greeting patients in waiting area, escorting patients to the operatory ensuring proper set up procedures.
- Preparing patients for treatments or checkups ensuring their comfort (before, during and after treatment) and answering any questions they have.
- Assisting the dentist during a variety of treatment procedures.
- The dental assistant performs many tasks requiring both interpersonal and technical skills.
- Asking about the patient's medical history and taking blood pressure and pulse, make accurate chart entries and assure thorough completion of forms and signatures.
- Conducting post-operative and post-treatment procedures, as instructed by the dentist
- Taking and developing dental radiographs (x-rays), as needed.
- Serving as an infection control officer, developing infection control protocol and preparing and sterilizing instruments and equipment.
- Helping patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatments.
- Stock operatories and maintain clinical supply inventory.
- Maintain a sterile and neat working environment according to current infection control procedures meeting OSHA/WISHA standards.
- Providing patients with instructions for oral care following surgery or other dental treatment procedures, such as the placement of a restoration (filling).
- Teaching patient’s appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health; (e.g., tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling).
- Taking impressions of patients' teeth for study casts (models of teeth).
- Communicating with patients and suppliers (e.g., scheduling appointments, answering the telephone, billing and ordering supplies).
- Review daily schedule to set up appropriate trays and instruments and monitors patient flow.
- Assist in front office procedures if time allows or need is determined by Team Leader.
- Assists with health fairs, presentations as needed.
- Attends required compliance and team trainings.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS_(Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)_
- Current CPR certification required.
- Compliance with all health & safety regulations and state dental practice requirements.
- Knowledge of dental terminology, instruments and sterilization methods.
- Computer proficiency and the ability to learn new programs.
- Excellent communication and people skills with the ability to build rapport with others.
- Well-organized, detail oriented and reliable.
- Graduation from a dental assisting school is a plus.
- Ability to demonstrate high ethical standards.
- Additional certification or training is a plus (e.g. X-Ray, CDA, RDA, EFDA or EDDA).
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.