GENERAL DESCRIPTION / PRIMARY PURPOSE
Reporting to the Sr. Director Engineering, the Project Engineer’s primary responsibility is to improve the food safety, safety, quality, sustainability and reliability performance of the manufacturing facility. The Project Engineer develops, proposes and implements capital and major repair projects to improve the entire operation. The Project Engineer has the responsibility for meeting, or exceeding established key results for food safety, sanitation, personal safety, product quality, regulatory compliance, sustainability, cost effectiveness and organizational development.
The Project Engineer manages and maintains facility and coordinates facility based projects. Assists in facility design and various engineering tasks associated with the facility planning, equipment planning, cost evaluations, design, process optimization, facility modifications and provides technical expertise on various technical standards and engineering requirements by performing the following duties:
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS/DUTIES OF THE POSITION
- Review daily manufacturing operation with respect to overall efficiency, product requirement, and current established production schedule.
- Review’s the weekend shutdown projects are done effectively and construction work is properly coordinated.
- Develop and implement plans to improve substandard performance with equipment and the facility.
- Determine the long range needs of the department and the entire facility. Develop plans that implement solutions in appropriate phasing with appropriate long range operational and capital budgeting.
- Maintains and monitors functioning and purchasing of equipment necessary to support operation requirements.
- Assists in GMP and SQF compliance.
- Maintains an understanding of production equipment as to ensure current knowledge of equipment performance for determining facilities and production operations are running at optimal levels.
- Ensures prevention and precautions against, or adequate control of, exposure to hazardous substance, and danger from flammable, explosive, electrical, noise, radiation and manual handling risks
- Maintains safety on each job project in accordance with approved safety rules and regulations to include conducting food safety and personal safety inspections and observations.
- Examines and approves engineering and architectural drawings and design computations for facilities to ensure compliance with sound engineering practices and established standards, codes, and regulations.
- Estimates cost of projects, writes contracts and specifications for labor, materials and equipment for construction projects, and secures bids from contractors.
- Inspects existing facilities to ascertain their condition and prepares reports depicting the condition, deficiencies observed, designs necessary for repairs, and estimated cost of repairs.
- Leadership and Support: Communicate with other plant leaders and support their initiatives. Facilitate maintenance ownership through integration of training, mentoring and supervision
- Develop appropriate three year capital plans and site masterplan documents
- Ensure the development, improvement of training systems to meet facility needs. Ensure a system is in a place for the facility to sustain and improve maintenance performance. Utilize development plans to grow the performance and knowledge of the maintenance staff and the engineering staff
- Capital and Expense Budgets: manage and develop the overall capital budgets emphasis on cost and productivity improvement initiatives, while exceeding food safety, personal safety and regulatory requirements.
- All other related duties as required.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES (KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS)
- EXPERIENCE: 3-5 years of experience as a Project Engineer, food manufacturing and facility experience is a must; RTE food experience most desirable.
- KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS: Knowledge of Word, AutoCAD Excel and MS-Project. Knowledge of project cost management and cost tracking of all costs associated with Dole environmental projects. Knowledge of federal, state and local environmental regulatory requirements. Knowledge of ammonia cooling systems is preferred.
- OTHER: Dynamic, hands-on ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented food-processing environment. Must have the ability to make effective communications, decisions, and directions, interact well with co-workers, understand and follow posted work rules/procedures and to accept constructive criticism. Travel is required.
INTERNAL & EXTERNAL RELATIONS_
INTERNAL: Maintenance, Sanitation, Quality, SQF, Production Supervision, Procurement, Corporate Engineering, and other supervisory and Engineering staff members EXTERNAL: Auditors and Vendors.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering or other related engineering field
Ability to maneuver around an array of equipment, to work in a cold (35* on Plant floor), and moderately noisy environment, bend, stoop, climb stairs, and lift up to 40 pounds. Will have some exposure to fumes and airborne particles. Ability to travel periodically. (Notification required due to the Americans with Disabilities Act).
- Cell Phone
- Two-Way Radio
- Other _
WORK HOUR REQUIREMENT
Flexibility to work varied hours required.
Ability to travel as needed.
- Knowledge of Word
- AutoCAD Excel and MS-Project
- Knowledge of project cost management and cost tracking of all costs associated with Dole environmental projects
- Knowledge of federal, state and local environmental regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of ammonia cooling systems is preferred
- 3-5 years of experience as a Project Engineer
- Food manufacturing and facility experience is a must
- Ready to Eat food experience most desirable
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering or other related engineering field
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.