TITLE: Development Scientist
LOCATION: Gaithersburg, MD
We are looking for a passionate, self-driven and experienced Development Scientist with a background in organic and analytical chemistry and expertise in bioconjugation, chemical crosslinking, surface modification and labeling of biomolecules. The Developmental Scientist will be responsible for leading formulation and process scale-up efforts and preparing quality control and validation protocols for commercialization of innovative product solutions for forensic and diagnostic applications.
- Collaborate with partner R&D laboratories and teams to further develop, formulate and participate in the commercialization of new products requiring solid phase chemical crosslinking and validation protocols involving quantitation of biomolecules.
- Insure proper quality control and product performance and provide instructions on proper chemical testing and processing procedures.
- Prepare compounds, reagents, and solutions used in laboratory procedures.
- Write technical reports describing methods and findings and demonstrate problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Present findings to Company management, marketing, scientists, and other colleagues.
- Maintain laboratory instruments, troubleshoot malfunctions, and purchase new laboratory supplies.
- Evaluate and ensure compliance with laboratory safety procedures and standards.
- Masters degree in Chemistry or a related field, or a Bachelors degree with several years relevant experience in a commercial life sciences company.
- Experience in scientific research and laboratory work with emphasis on use of chemical crosslinking reagents and development of biomolecular testing and quality control protocols.
- Proficiency with computers and scientific equipment.
- Strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills.
- Good presentation, documentation, and reporting skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Sense of ownership and pride in your performance and its impact on the company's success.
- Satisfactory and positive responses from business and personal references.
- Passing of a background check which may include verification of prior employment, criminal conviction, and history, educational and driving records.
- Critical thinker with excellent problem-solving skills.
- Team player.
- Good time-management skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
- Hands-on, action oriented.
- High energy.
- Self-starter able to work autonomously.
- Copes well with the change, uncertainty and ambiguity inherent in an early stage company.