The Licensed Practical Nurse ( LPN) coordinates patient care following all established standards of practice within the State and Federal guidelines. Provides mentorship of non-nursing personnel. Serves as a resource to both staff and management in problem identification and resolution.
- Checks schedules and organizes patient low; greet patients, documents patients concerns, questions etc…accompanies patient to exam/procedure room and prepares patients for physical exam. Initial patient interview; reviewing patient medical profile , H&P and document in Ecw /manual charting as appropriate.
- Obtains and accurately documents patient vital signs, weight: reports any abnormalities to physician. Assists with specimen collection and testing as necessary. Documents pertinent information.
- Assists patients as necessary i.e. walking, transferring, dressing etc.
- Provides minor treatment as directed by physician, assists physicians with minor procedures.
- Provides education as indicated after assessing the learning needs of the patient and or family.
- Documents all patient related activities by end of shift.
- Schedules patient testing and pre certifies if insurances requires.
- Responds to all telephone messages (patient, physician offices etc…) by end of shift.
- End of month checks for expired supplies and medication.
- Stocks rooms/maintains inventory or exam/procedure rooms.
- Orders supplies as needed.
- Cleans the exam/procedure room & equipment after each patient.
- Prepares exam /procedure room for next patient & physician needs.
- Notifies patients of test results ( per physician instruction) and follow up.
- Attends scheduled staff meetings, in service education opportunities and participates in continuing education programs. Formulates and maintains effective working relationships with employees and other managers of the health care team.
- Respects and protects the patient’s rights to confidentiality and privacy and discloses information only for the professional purposes which are in the patient’s best interests with full consideration of their legal rights. Displays a positive attitude when interacting with physician’s office staff, physicians and fellow employees of the office.
- Participates in and supports performance improvement and risk management activities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested in order to maintain a high level of service.
- Completes required continuous training and education, including practice specific requirements.
- Demonstrates professional work behavior by following Service Standards.
- Complies with departmental organizational policies and procedures
- Valid license as Licensed Practical Nurse in CT.
- Maintains a minimum of 6 contacts hours, annually.
- Excellent customer service / communication skills.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Minimum of 2 years’ previous experience in a similar position