The VP OF SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT has end-to-end view and ownership of the products within their domain, primarily responsible for product increments development, delivery and support. The incumbent provides overall direction and guidance to software engineering managers, Database specialists, engineers/developers, quality assurance engineers and business systems analysts. She/he drives software development across multiple teams and phases to ensure execution of project work plans. Determines department priorities and ensures software development & data management objectives are met.
- Responsible for effective and timely development of new and/or enhanced systems/technologies.
- Monitors all aspects of the Software Development Lifecycle and Production Support service levels. Ensures high level technical support is provided.
- Works closely with customers, other IT managers, and management to identify and maximize opportunities to use technology to improve business processes.
- Prepares business cases, including financial analyses of potential new technologies/systems/applications. Evaluates based on company strategic needs and resource availability.
- Oversees business analysis, development work and quality assurance of projects for assigned systems/technologies.
- Collaborates effectively at all levels to prepare strategic plans. Ensures system requests tie into objectives of the company strategy map and budgets.
- Contributes to the development of information technology development standards, policies, processes and procedures to ensure consistent compatibility and integration throughout the company.
- Continuously reviews the technology needs of supported business functions/processes relative to new technological developments and trends. Keeps abreast of the industry and emerging technology
- Participates in vendor/strategic partner evaluations and monitors the relationship on an ongoing basis.
- Prepares/manages department budget: P&L forecasting, operational/capital expenditures, contract negotiations and invoice processing
- Leads and manages team to accomplish objectives through effective recruitment & selection, training & development, performance management and rewards & recognition.
- KEY TECHNOLOGY SKILLS: PORTAL TECHNOLOGIES, DATA INTEGRATION AND MICROSERVICES
- TECHNICALLY STRONG - EXPERIENCE BUILDING WEB PRESENT SOLUTIONS IN JAVA
- ABILITY TO BE VERY TECHNICAL WHEN REQUIRED TO DRIVE THE TEAM
- VISIONARY - ABLE TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE AND HOW TO GET THERE QUICKLY
- Bachelor’s degree and 10 to 15 years of related experience in software development & architecture design, including project management and business analysis. Significant management experience would typically be required.
- Broad knowledge of software development techniques, processes, methods and best practices.Proficiency with various programming languages used.
- Knowledge of application test automation products, processes, and best practices
- Thorough knowledge of all assigned Systems, applications, technologies.
- Proven experience and strong understanding of Agile development and conventional method and its application to company technology needs.
- High level knowledge/expertise in databases development, implementation, and maintenance of large-scale business applications.
- Strong strategic decision making & long term planning abilities to manage resources and develop efficient and effective solutions to diverse and complex business problems.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively lead and motivate team.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation & consultative skills for effective collaboration with senior management.
- Good general business acumen.
NICE TO HAVE:
- Prior experience in financial services, specifically insurance. Familiarity with a broad lines of business included but not limited to Property, General Liability, Workers Comp, Auto, etc.
- Experience with policy admin and claims admins systems as well as underwriting workstations used to track premium and claims details and corresponding deductible offsets of the claims.
- Understanding of insurance programs cover high deductibles, self-insured retentions and captive arrangements is an advantage.