Under the supervision of the Fitness Director/Coordinator, the Group Exercise Instructor will provide quality instruction and supervision to members by teaching safe and functionally challenging classes that promote the total fitness development of Y members. The Group Exercise Instructor assists in membership development and retention by providing a FUN, welcoming, and inclusive atmosphere that promotes group interaction.
- Embody an outgoing and enthusiastic personality at all times.
- Proactively greets all members in a professional and friendly manner, using their names whenever possible.
- Possess knowledge of wellness concepts and promote a well-rounded, healthy lifestyle through actions and words.
- Must understand and practice basic components of a safe and effective group exercise routine.
- Adhere to the class style and class format as listed on the Group Exercise schedule.
- Obtain and maintain all outside group exercise certifications and CECs. Maintain all certification requirements of the Y in Central Maryland.
- Be punctual for all classes. Standard expectations are to arrive 10 minutes before class begins and stay 5 minutes after class ends.
- Develop new choreography and rotate music selection on a regular basis. Evaluate music prior to use at the Y to ensure no inappropriate language or content.
- Help set-up and dismantle equipment where needed.
- Follow Y in Central Maryland substitute policy and attempt to secure a substitute for all classes that the instructor cannot teach.
- Coach and encourage members to meet their own determined wellness goals and to continue with their program.
- Embody sensitivity and patience in dealing with the inactive population which could be intimidated by exercise and workout areas.
- Listen to questions and needs of Y members and take ownership in responding back appropriately.
- Identify unsafe or hazardous exercises and suggest alternate exercises to assist the member on the spot.
- Maintain the Aerobics Studio(s) for cleanliness and monitor all equipment for possible hazardous conditions. Report any damaged or broken equipment to the appropriate person(s).
- Record class participation numbers for each class on provided attendance tool.
- Follow and support in actions and words all Y policies and procedures. Positively promote all Y programs to members and the community.
Accountable for completion of assigned goals as measured by the number of people served, cause driven measures, service satisfaction scores, operating results, and supervisor evaluation of assigned duties.
An offer of employment is contingent upon receipt of satisfactory results to meet minimum requirements of the position. The requirements may include background check, drug test, driver’s license record, CPS, and/or criminal background check.
Additional driver’s license check, CPS, criminal background check, alcohol, and/or drug testing may be required in the future in order to meet and/or maintain the requirements of this position.
- Intellectual and cognitive requirements (collaborative, teamwork, decision making, analysis, etc.)
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS, PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Physically able to successfully complete required job functions, including use of hands, arms, fingers, able to talk and hear, use a computer, sit and stand, regularly move/lift up to 50 pounds, enter all YMCA environments (office spaces, indoor and outdoor maintenance/mechanical areas, fitness areas, pool and pool space, camping areas, unimproved outdoor locations and other program areas).
- Maintenance and housekeeping of fitness and cardio equipment. Bending, lifting, spotting weightlifters, moving, standing up to and including entire shift, ability to get to floor and back up, and able to lift a minimum of 45lbs.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES (LEADER):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
EDUCATION- A high school diploma or GED is required. Bachelor’s degree in fitness related fields are preferred. College courses related to anatomy and physiology or related experience is accepted.
GROUP EXERCISE QUALIFICATIONS
- Nationally recognized accredited group exercise certification required. ACE, ACSM, AFAA, NETA preferred or equivalent OR
- Standalone or specialty certifications are accepted: (Les Mills, Zumba, etc.)
- Must obtain and maintain First Aid, CPR/AED, and Emergency Oxygen certifications within 60 days of hire.
- Upon hire YMCA certifications to include: Orientation to Healthy Living at the Y AND Foundations of Listen First within 10 days of hire; Principles of Member Health & Wellness, Group Exercise at the Y, AND Foundations of Group Exercise at the Y (Offered by ACE) within 60 days of hire.
- Must complete additional Y required trainings as assigned including Child Abuse Prevention, Blood Borne Pathogen, etc.
- Group Exercise Instructor I: has less than 5 years of experience actively leading group fitness AND required to maintain minimum of 1 national group exercise certification or specialty group exercise certification.
- Group Exercise Instructor II: has 5-8 years of experience actively leading group fitness AND required to maintain minimum of 2 national group exercise certifications or specialty group exercise certifications.
- Group Exercise Instructor III: has 9-11 years of experience actively leading group fitness AND required to maintain minimum of 3 national group exercise certifications or specialty group exercise certifications.
- Group Exercise Instructor IV: has 12+ years of experience actively leading group fitness AND required to maintain minimum of 4 national group exercise certification or specialty group exercise certifications.