Responsible for planning and leading curriculum-based activities with a group of children in a specialty area. Maintains and organizes all equipment/materials for the designated activities to achieve optimum use of resources. Supervises both campers and staff to ensure a high-level of program quality and an excellent camper experience. Demonstrates the Y's commitment to its core values of respect, responsibility, honesty and caring in all actions to serve as a role model.
The candidate must possess the ability to follow curriculum-based activity plan that meets demographics of campers while keeping in mind budgetary constraints. They must be organized and efficient. They must be able to supervise staff and campers.
- Develop activity plan according to the camp curriculum in specialty area including creating a model or instruction
- Actively engages all campers and staff in activity, planning alternative activities or follow-up activities as needed
- Maintain resources and materials to ensure a clean, safe environment.
- Keep materials organized and in good repair throughout the summer.
- Reports to work on time and in uniform for all scheduled shifts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Developing Others
- Quality Results
- Project Management
- Mission Advancement
- MUST BE ABLE TO LIFT AND CARRY UP TO 50LBS, ENGAGE AND PARTICIPATE IN ALL CAMP RELATED ACTIVITIES WITH CAMPERS (SWIM, SPORTS, CRAFTS), WORK IN EXTREME OUTDOOR WEATHER CONDITIONS (SUN, HEAT, RAIN) AND IN VARIOUS ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS (WOODS, BEACHES, FIELDS, STREAMS, NATURE TRAILS), ACCEPT THAT QUANTITY OF WORK HOURS SCHEDULED WEEKLY WILL FLUCTUATE BETWEEN 0 AND 40, AND MAY INCLUDE NIGHTS AND WEEKEND HOURS.
- Intellectual and cognitive requirements (collaborative, teamwork, decision making, analysis, etc)
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS, PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Physically able to successfully complete required job functions, including use of hands, arms, fingers, able to talk and hear, use a computer, sit and stand, enter all YMCA environments (office spaces, indoor and outdoor maintenance/mechanical areas, fitness areas, pool and pool space, camping areas, unimproved outdoor locations and other program areas).
Supervise groups of 16 - 50 campers. Supervise staff with groups. Enforce policy and procedures. Willing to work in multiple camp locations within the same region
Accountable for completion of assigned goals as measured by the number of people served, cause driven measures, service satisfaction scores, operating results, and supervisor evaluation of assigned duties.
An offer of employment is contingent upon receipt of satisfactory results to meet minimum requirements of the position. The requirements may include background check, drug test, driver’s license record, CPS, and/or criminal background check.
Additional drivers license check, CPS, criminal background check, alcohol, and/or drug testing may be required to be processed in the future in order to meet and/or maintain the requirements of this position.
- Must have documented experience, knowledge, and skills in teaching and supervision specific to the activity conducted.
- Must have formal training and experience in that activity, such as an instructor certificate, a certificate of proficiency, or a letter of reference from a national organization, school or certified instructor