Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,600 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #51 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
JMT's Virginia Beach Highways Team is seeking an experienced Project Engineer to be responsible for engineering design using knowledge of general engineering principles and practices to interpret, organize, execute and coordinate assignments. Act as a technical advisor to less experienced engineers.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design transportation improvements for roadways, interchanges, intersection improvements, sidewalks, and trail projects
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, aerial photography and other topographical or geologic data to plan projects
- Perform design computations
- Design projects in accordance with client specifications and guidelines, using design software and drawing tools
- Develop construction cost estimates
- Assist in the preparation of engineering documents for advertisement and construction including contract plans and specifications
- Involvement in project and task decisions pertaining to scoping, budgeting and monitoring.
- Attend meetings with clients and stakeholders
- Coordinate with internal team members to ensure project completion by the defined deadline and established quality
- Direct project sub-consultants and in-house support disciplines
- Plan, schedule, conduct or coordinate detailed phases of the engineering work
NONESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Experience in discipline specific design software, OpenRoads 3D Modeling and MicroStation
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Strong Written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or a related field from an ABET accredited engineering program
- 5-15 years’ experience in specialized discipline
- Professional Engineer License
- Experience working with local clients at the county and state level
Work is performed within a general office environment 95% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
Field work is required on occasion where work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Some lifting (up to 25 lbs) may be required as needed.
- Analytical Thinking
- Job Proficiency
- Creativity and Innovation
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
- Integrity & Ethics
- Quality Service
- Managing Performance
JMT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/DISABILITY/VET/SEXUAL ORIENTATION/GENDER IDENTITY, AND WE ARE PROUD TO BE BUILDING AN INCLUSIVE AND DIVERSE WORKFORCE.