NYU LANGONE HEALTH is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children's hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated comprehensive cancer center, and NYU Grossman School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to _nyulangone.org__, and interact with us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram._
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Staff Speech Pathologist.
In this role, the successful candidate Responsible for providing speech-language pathology services under supervision, and any other duties deemed necessary by the Department Head.
- Develops, implements, amends, evaluates and plans speech-language pathology treatment programs according to changing communication needs and requirements. Uses medical, psycho-social information results of SLP evaluation and patient stated goals to develop realistic plans for patients. Provides clear rationale for all aspects of treatment plan, re-evaluates and amends plan as necessary. Monitors and reassesses functional and clinical programs in a complete manner. Anticipates and plans for discharge. Informs supervisor of changes in patients program to insure coordination of total program.
- Conducts group and individual therapy sessions. Implements plan in individual/group sessions appropriately orients patient caregivers to SLP treatment and interprets SLP role. Establishes/ maintains accepting climate for expression of feelings. Uses flexibility and creativity in task design for group or individual sessions and permits patient control and choice as much as feasible.
- Documents treatments rendered and patient attendance accurately and in accordance with departments protocol. Maintains clinical documentation according to Departmental P&P manual. Completes concise, accurate and timely documentation and keeps patient documentation confidential. Follows insurance (e.g. Medicare) guidelines for documentation. Provides verbal reports at staff meetings that are clear, concise, and relevant to ensure representatives at team meetings are well informed. Maintains active/cooperative dialogue with peers and other members of the rehabilitation team regarding shared patients.
- Interprets assessment findings to patient and family in a timely fashion and provides information to patient /family re: nature of SLP, course of recovery, psycho-social impact. Provides information regarding access to SLP services. Engages family in ongoing treatment planning, training re: techniques to improve communication function. Involves caregivers (as necessary) in planning for treatment termination. Provides opportunity for expression of feelings regarding the SLP disorder. Provides information regarding community resources (support services, web sites, etc.).
- Effectively assesses patients communication function and abilities. Effectively screens patient for identification of SLP assessment needs and assigns accurate FIM and WEE FIM ratings. Uses medical and social history to determine constraints on evaluations. Demonstrates thorough patient/family interviewing techniques to determine functional communication, establish patients understanding of SLP goals for treatment, recovery expectations and desire for SLP treatment. Conducts SLP evaluation according to P&P manual. Confers with Acting Director or Pediatric Supervisor regarding recommendations for patient management. Contacts referring MD to report evaluation findings once necessary.
- Demonstrates continued proficiency in skills required to treat assigned patient population.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To qualify you must have a MA/MS degree in Speech-Language Pathology; CCC-SLP form ASHA and NY State license in Speech Pathology. Continuing education required NYS for maintaining licensure..
REQUIRED LICENSES: Speech Pathologist Lic-NYS, ASHA Cert
NYS Certification as Teacher of Students with Speech and Language Disabilities (TSSLD).
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.