Covia is a leading supplier of minerals and material solutions to the industrial and energy markets. The formation of Covia in 2018 is the most recent of many significant milestones in our shared history. Built from the merging of Fairmount Santrol and Unimin Corporation, Covia’s rich legacy includes many achievements across industries and capital success through partnership. Our ability to deliver the right product, to the right place, at the right time, is unmatched. Just as strong is our commitment to building partnerships that help our customers succeed.
Quality and innovation are at the foundation of Covia; but our real strength is our people. Covia employs a diverse and highly-skilled team of professionals to convert natural minerals into engineered solutions for our customers. Every member of our team has a valuable opportunity to help shape our future and make a positive impact on the world around us through our commitment to the locations where we live and work.
Covia is looking for a dynamic QUALITY CONTROL TECHNICIAN who will have a positive impact on the OPERATIONS team at its CRANE, TX location. The QC Technician is accountable to ensure the safe and productive operation of the Crane Plant lab. The Lab Technician will gather and process samples and the results will be communicated to operations to ensure plant processes are controlled and all final products are within specifications.
THE SUCCESSFUL INCUMBENT WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Comply with applicable MSHA regulations as outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) and procedures applying to the worker or person that are part of a safety and health management system for the mine
- If the worker has information that other persons need to know to fulfil their obligations or duties under the CFR, or to protect themselves from the risk of injury or illness, to give the information to the other persons
- Take any other reasonable and necessary course of action to ensure anyone is not exposed to an unacceptable level of risk
- Work or carry out the worker’s activities in a way that does not expose the worker or someone else to an unacceptable level of risk
- Ensure, to the extent of the responsibilities and duties allocated to the worker or person, that the work and activities under the worker’s control, supervision, or leadership is conducted in a way that does not expose the worker or person or someone else to an unacceptable level of risk
- To the extent of the worker’s or person’s involvement, to participate in and conform to the risk management practices of the operation
- Comply with instructions given for safety and health of persons by the mine operator or a supervisor at them operation
- Work at the operation only if the worker is in a fit condition to carry out the work without affecting the safety and health of others
- Not do anything willfully or recklessly that might adversely affect the safety and health of someone else at the operation
- Adhere to site procedures and instructions given by supervisors
- Operate and maintain lab and equipment in a safe & effective manner.
- Complete required paperwork in an orderly, accurate, and professional fashion
- Assist with any continuous improvement projects as necessary
- Perform all other duties as needed or assigned
LAB & QC DUTIES
- Responsible for conducting quality control tests consistently and accurately according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Communicates test results to plant supervision/process operators to determine process changes as needed.
- Responsible for 5S/Housekeeping and general lab maintenance and equipment calibration as needed.
- Interprets and understands testing methods and resulting data and its correlation to process and product quality.
- Generates certified analysis and prepares samples for customers with appropriate identifications.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Retain daily samples according to policy.
THE SUCCESSFUL INCUMBENT WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Literacy in English, both written and spoken required
- High School diploma or equivalent preferred
- Have a general understanding of coating process and end use of product
- Have basic knowledge of Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Solid understanding of reading, writing and mathematics
- Basic understanding of the use of electronic scales and calculators
- Detail-oriented and very accurate
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Previous experience within mining operations (preferably sand)
- Demonstrated commitment to safety with previous experience in identifying and managing risks preferred
- Ability to operate computer programs required
- Excellent Healthcare Benefits – medical, vision, dental
- 401K with company matching and fixed annual contributions
- Vacation + Paid Holidays
- Disability, Life / AD&D, and Long Term Care Insurances
- Employee Assistance Program
At Covia, we strive for and support a diverse workforce as we firmly believe this lays the foundation of our success. Our compelling culture supports inclusion, individuality and respect within the workplace. We are committed to providing employment opportunities to the most qualified candidate based on work-related factors and without regard to non-work-related factors including race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, or military service or reserve or veteran status.
The organization offers competitive salaries, advancement opportunities, and a full range of benefits.
An Equal Opportunity Employer