MillerMusmar is an award-winning CPA firm located in Reston, VA that provides accounting, tax and assurance services. We provide outsourced accounting to a wide range of companies and are seeking Senior Accountants with a strong background working with educational institutions. The ideal candidate will have a strong work ethic and the commitment and passion to provide exceptional client service to our growing client base.
This position is a great alternative to the typical accounting, tax and audit positions particularly if you enjoy client service, continuous learning, and a great team to work with.
Works directly under CFO of parent entity. Assumes overall responsibility for the Client's controllership functions. Directs, coordinates, and oversees the institution's various financial, accounting, and treasury operations. Establishes Client financial policies and standards. Directs and oversees the operations of the Registrar's Office, unrestricted accounting, finance systems management, payroll, restricted accounting, accounts payable, and accounts receivable. Develops & manages annual budgets. Reports to the CFO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL and Counsel, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting and Revenue Recognition
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements
- Coordinate the preparation of state regulatory reporting
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance
- Oversee and support month-end and year-end close process
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Additional controller duties as necessary verses internal and external audits and preparation of audit reports.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field; at least 5 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Certification/Licensure Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred
- Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Knowledge and understanding of the mission, goals, organization, and operational/financial infrastructure of a client.
- Operating knowledge of accounting software INTACCT or comparable systems.
- Strategic planning skills.
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Strong human resources development and management skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of institutional policies and procedures and the regulatory environment within which they operate.
- Knowledge of assets and funds management principles, methods, and techniques.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and decision making skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Federal and State financial laws, regulations, and operating guidelines as they pertain to public institutions of higher education.
- Organizational planning, structuring, and staffing skills.
MillerMusmar CPAs has been providing quality client services for over 25 years. We are a trusted advisor to clients working in a variety of industries and our average client relationship lasts more than 10 years, a testament to our longstanding tradition of providing financial solutions that work alongside excellent customer service. Our clients include:
- Government Contractors
- Businesses (Domestic and International)
- Nonprofits and Associations
- Individuals (Residents, Foreign Nationals, and Expatriates)
We were awarded one of the Top Accounting Firms to work for by the Washington Business Journal as well as a Great Place to Work in 2018. Apply today to join an amazing firm with a great team!
Please respond with a copy of your resume as well as a cover letter. We look forward to reviewing your application and thank you for your interest!