This is semi-skilled work in the maintenance and stewardship of Prairie State Park and other state parks and or historic sites located within a 100-mile radius. The work involves performing a wide variety of semi-skilled work in the construction, maintenance, and repair of park buildings, picnic tables, and campsites; maintenance, repair, and upkeep of all park equipment; maintenance of park grounds; and informing the public about park rules, regulations, and facilities.
· Cleaning pit latrines, restrooms, and picnic areas
· Operating push and riding mowers, tractors, brush hog, front skid steer loader, trucks, chainsaws, string trimmers and similar mechanical equipment
· Equipment maintenance duties include:
o Preventative maintenance and repair on trucks, ATVs, tractors, skid steer loader, mowers, brush hogs, spraying equipment, string trimmers, chainsaws and other equipment used at the facility.
· Stewardship duties will include:
o Maintaining bison fencing, assisting with the care and health of bison herd including feeding, round-ups, auctions, and vaccinations; spraying herbicide; and assisting with prescribed burns.
· These tasks will require a person to be able to walk for long periods carrying backpack sprayers (50 pounds), power blowers, or other fire equipment for long periods during all types of weather including extreme heat or cold.
· The work may involve serving as a lead worker over seasonal staff.
· Work is performed under the limited supervision of a higher level employee who normally determines work priority.
· Work can be reviewed while in progress and upon completion for achievement of desired results.
· Assignments include the collection of park fees and the performance of unskilled tasks.
· Individual must maintain a valid Missouri Vehicle Operator’s License.
· Must possess valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
· Ability to lift and load 50-pound objects.
· Must be able to exert heavy physical effort for extended periods, 10 hours or more, in all types of weather including extreme heat and cold.
· Must be able to carry backpack sprayers (50 lbs.), power blowers and use fire-fighting equipment for extended periods.
· Must be willing to attend and pass MDC Level 1 Fire Training or equivalent within six months of hire (or when offered).
· Must be willing to work around and with large animals, specifically bison.
· Applicants must have a good attendance record and may not be on a current performance improvement plan.
· This position may be required to obtain and maintain appropriate commercial operator’s license, water/wastewater certifications, and/or other required licenses/certification. If required and if you do not currently possess this license/certification, you will be given six months to obtain necessary license/certification.
Two or more years of experience as a Maintenance Worker I (Park/Historic Sites) with the Missouri Uniform Classification and Pay System; and possession of a high school diploma or proof of high school equivalency.
Three or more years of experience in one or a combination of the following: construction, electrical, plumbing, or mechanical (heating and cooling, refrigeration, welding, engine repair, etc.) trades; farm work including the operation of farm machinery and/or construction of structures/enclosures; and possession of a high school diploma or proof of high school equivalency.
(Training in a formal program of instruction from an accredited school in one or more of the building, mechanical, or electrical trades may substitute on a year-for-year basis for a maximum of two years of the required experience at a rate of 3 high school credit hours, 30 earned credit hours, or 480 clock hours for one year.)
For more information about the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, visit our website at www.dnr.mo.gov. To apply for this position, please reply to the ad and submit a cover letter and resume. Candidates may contact the Department Recruiter at 573-751-2518 with questions about the application process.
All candidate information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
The Missouri Department of Natural Resources is an equal opportunity employer.