Operating Room Registered Nurse needed PRN for ambulatory surgery center. Previous circulator experience required, scrub experience a plus. Experience with orthopedics required. Flexible hours available for days and early evenings! NO holidays, NO weekends, NO on-call! The ideal candidate must have a positive attitude, excellent communication skills and a strong desire to learn.
To perform in the role of a circulating nurse in the operating room, with multiple specialties:
- Provides culturally competent, age-appropriate, ethical care within legal standards of practice.
- Checks room for needed supplies and prepares room for specific patient and procedure.
- Assists in transporting patient to O.R. and checks patient record for appropriate pre-op preparation and procedures (i.e. lab, x-ray, appropriate consents, H&P, etc.).
- Performs and/or directs appropriate surgical prep.
- Completes documentation of O.R. records, laboratory requisitions, and patient medical record, including medications and physician orders.
- Directs proper care of instruments, supplies, sterilization, and storage of equipment.
- Supervises and assists with the proper, safe positioning of the patient.
- Protects patients from injury caused by chemical, electrical, laser, positioning, thermal sources and extraneous objects.
- Performs interventions necessary to ensure patient’s procedure is performed on the correct site, side and level – Time Out.
- Performs sponge, needle, and instrument counts and documentation of same.
- Identifies, labels, and cares for all surgical specimens properly.
- Performs interventions to ensure the patient is at or returned to normothermia at the conclusion of the surgical procedure.
- Performs interventions to protect patient from infection.
- Secures emergency equipment and supplies as needed.
- Controls the general “tone” of the operating room.
- Protects patient’s rights, dignity and privacy.
Scrub nurse experience a plus:
- Scrubs, gowns, and gloves members of surgical team following aseptic techniques.
- Sets up operating room with all necessary equipment and supplies.
- Arranges instruments according to routine for a given procedure.
- Handles instruments correctly and checks for cleanliness and proper working condition.
- Maintains sterile field throughout the surgical procedure.
- Performs clean up following procedures, as well as general housekeeping duties.
- Functions in the role of second assistant following successful skills demonstration.
- Assists the physician during the surgical procedure.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The OR Staff Nurse must be a graduate of an accredited School of Nursing and be currently licensed to practice nursing in the state of Missouri. A minimum of one year of experience in the operating room is preferred. The successful candidate must have the ability to work independently as well as function within a team; have the ability to assess patient needs, determine priorities, plan and direct surgical care of the patient and must possess the ability to handle stress. Must have a thorough knowledge of general nursing theory and practice; a knowledge of operating room technique; possess strong organizational skills and flexibility; present good communication skills; have the ability to assess priorities; present a professional image; and be able to handle periods of stress. Requires respect for confidential nature of the work environment.