Open Door Legal is pioneering the country's first system of universal access to civil representation and working hard to make it a reality so that when everyone has access to the law, no one will feel the sting of poverty.
We innovate, drive results, and create solutions for some of the most complex problems facing our community. As a Google Impact Challenge (2015) winner and recognized by the Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation, we're growing and expanding our services across San Francisco, making this city the first in the country with universal access to civil legal representation, thus becoming a model for national replication.
We're only going to achieve this if we continue hiring the best people. If you are extremely passionate, quixotic, ready to tackle tough problems, client-centered, and believe in continuous personal growth--we want to hear from you!
We believe injustice is the heart of poverty and we invite you to join us in having a systemic impact on how we, as a society, ensure liberty and justice for all.
Overview of Position:
We're hiring a temporary family law staff attorney to help us resolve family conflicts, protect victims, and to ensure that courts make decisions in the best interests of children. Our unique and innovative model of practice involves representing both men and women in all areas of family law, including child custody and visitation, child support and paternity, divorce, guardianship, adoption, and restraining orders. The family practice team changes lives by healing families and reducing conflict, setting up our clients (and their children) for future success. You will work closely with their clients and help counsel them through everything from mediation to full-scope litigation.
You will report directly to the Senior Family Law Attorney.
- Own approximately 30 family law cases simultaneously while being assisted by a Senior Family Law Attorney, Family Law Paralegal and volunteers
- Appear in San Francisco Family Law court representing clients approximately 2-3 times a week on custody/visitation, child support, DVRO affirmative and defense and divorce cases
- Work quickly on challenging, intellectually interesting, and interpersonally difficult cases.
- Provide services and support to our low-income clients with sensitivity and awareness to cultural, socio-economic, and disability differences.
- Manage and mentor seasonal interns, volunteer attorneys, pro bono counsel, and fellows.
- Embrace and embody our mission of universal access to civil legal aid and make sure that family case needs of residents in our service area are met.
- Embrace and embody our values of teamwork, grit, caring, passionate, and dynamic.
- Membership in good standing with the California State Bar. Applicants without active California bar membership will not be considered. However, those without a license are encouraged to apply to volunteer with us at opendoorlegal.org/volunteer.
- Must have experience appearing in court.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision
- Excellent writing, editing, research and proof-reading skills, with the ability to be detail-oriented.
- Must genuinely enjoy and be motivated by working with low-income clients and be able to work competently with clients impacted by trauma (emotional, mental, and physical). Must be culturally competent and sensitive to barriers low-income residents face when attempting to access the justice system.
- Comfortable practicing, translating and interpreting in Cantonese/written Chinese.
- Comfortable practicing, translating and interpreting in Spanish.
- Experience representing clients in California on contested divorce matters.
- Experience appearing in San Francisco Civil Court, Unified Family Court.
- Experience working with low-income and vulnerable populations.
- Experience working in a high-volume legal aid or similar environment.
- Having lived a significant period of your life in San Francisco proper.
Starting compensation is $75,000 per year
- Loan Repayment Assistance - for staff pursuing 10-year public interest debt forgiveness, we will pay the minimum payment on all qualifying loans so that you don't need to worry about student loan debt (this is a conditional benefit).
- We offer competitive benefits:
- Generous paid time off per year
- Flexible work hours
- Paid Parental Leave
- We believe everyone is always learning and provide many internal and external mentorships, coaching, and learning opportunities (conferences, workshops, etc.).
- We are a fun and hard-working office with best-in-class technology solutions (including Salesforce) for anyone who's passionate about making a meaningful and measurable difference.
Applications received before Sept. 1, 2019 will be given priority