Are you an individual passionate about working in the Lab? Stamford Hospital has a great opportunity for a SENIOR CYTOTECHNOLOGIST. This person will prepare and screen gynecologic and non-gynecologic specimens. The ideal candidate is responsible for interpreting, reporting, and recording cytological findings according to the laboratory guidelines and regulations. As a SENIOR CYTOTECHNOLOGIST this individual will provide supervision, communicate information, and exercise advance knowledge of principles and practices in a highly technical field. THIS POSITION IS MONDAY-FRIDAY, DAY SHIFT.
MAJOR ACCOUNTABILITIES/CRITICAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Processes cytological specimens and performs microscopic evaluation to detect, differentiate and diagnose the presence or absence of disease under the guidelines of regulations and laboratory policies.
- Determines and implements the appropriate procedures for collection and processing biologic specimens. Prepares and labels stains and reagents.Assists in the collection of Fine Needle Aspirations and prepares them for rapid diagnosis.
- Maintains files and records according to laboratory guidelines and regulations. Ensures current statistic, policy and procedure manuals are up to date.
- Maintains accurate workload number of slides and cases screened, miscellaneous work done and number of hours worked.
- Integrates and relates data generated by the department, while making judgements regarding possible discrepancies, confirming cytological results, verifies quality control procedures and develops solutions to problems.
- Collects, analyzes, and summarizes results of quality assurance data and institutes proper procedures to maintain accuracy.
- Responsible for such duties as budget preparing for section, billing, equipment and supply needs, training and monitoring of employees, department policies, and problem solving.
- Maintains absolute integrity in the accurate performance and reporting of results. Observes professional discretion with patient information.
- Performs routine training and maintenance on all cytology laboratory equipment to ensure optimal instrument operation.
- Completes required proficiency testing as required by regulations and maintains a high degree of continuous learning through lab educational programs, journals and/or seminars.
- Complies with personal protective equipment requirements necessary for protection against exposure to blood and other infectious body fluids and chemicals.
- Communicates information with hospital staff and physician’s regarding patient diagnosis.
**Minimum of Associated Degree required. BS Degree preferred.
**ASCP registry required.
**Must have at least five years of full-time experience in Cytology