INDUSTRY: Oil & Gas - Manufacturing
LOCATION: Odessa, TX
CONTEXT: Small, privately-owned manufacturing company
The Safety Coordinator will provide overall support for the company's safety management team and field staff. This position will provide leadership in implementation, development, and administration of safety practices, policies and training through various methods. The right individual will have a clear understanding of production and assembly operations which in turn help effectively in managing health, safety, and environmental regulatory compliance, conforming to corporate policy for meeting requirements.
- Maintain all HSE training records and notify Managers of training requirements and or deficiencies.
- Schedule training as needed to keep all employees compliant with safety standards.
- Conduct and facilitate monthly safety meetings.
- Respond immediately to all safety incidents and events and document the findings.
- Conduct on-site observations on a regular basis in order to identify potential hazards.
- Maintain safety industry certifications, as well as display professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops.
- Responsible for maintaining compliance with all local, state, federal, and OSHA regulations and requirements regarding safety practices.
- Coordinate and provide assistance in administering health, safety, and environmental programs.
- Work closely and effectively with supervisors and managers to ensure employee compliance with HSE Policies and Procedures.
- Prepare a timely final report of findings with recommendations for corrective actions.
- Provide leadership by example, establishing and maintaining quality standards.
- Lead investigations of incidents, identifying root causes, and assist in initial report preparation.
- Ensure all employees have current company and customer mandated training and certifications.
- Coordinate scheduling of employees to attend training (or to complete training), as required to ensure a safe, healthy and incident free workplace.
- Maintain HSE training records for employees.
- An Associates Degree (2-year) or higher in Safety, Engineering or related technical field.
- Certifications: First Aid/CPR/AED; H2S Awareness; Forklift, Overhead crane.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of OSHA regulations.
- Able to enthusiastically provide engaging/ hands-on safety training relatable to field employees.
- Must be able to effectively communicate/ build rapport with field employees.
- Must be approachable and responsive to a variety of people and issues.
- Ability to manage conflict and make effective decisions under pressure.
- Must be highly motivated, able to work independently.
- Demonstrate clear communication skills and ability to collaborate in department and production
- meetings along with reporting.
- Strong computer skills within MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Ability to follow design details to meet company standards.
- Ability to focus on tasks and pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to work with deadlines and possess good organizational skills.
- Ability to use time efficiently, prioritizes and plans work activities to meet goals.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; provides feedback to improve performance; monitors and ensures work meets company standards.
- Meets productivity standards; completes work in a timely manner; strives to increase productivity while keeping high-quality standards.
- Ability to adapt to frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Must be punctual based on work schedule.
- Willingness to work weekdays, some weekends, and long hours.
- Must pass drug and alcohol test.
- Must pass background record check.
- Must possess a working knowledge of tools and provide own tools if possible.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide into all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. Must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment, including safety shoes or boots, eye and hearing protection, and a hard hat when required.
- May be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; and other outside weather conditions. Frequent exposure to moving mechanical parts. Occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and vibration. The noise level is usually loud.