The Project Engineer assists the Assistant Project Manager or Project Manager and Project Superintendent in project planning, buyout, project management and close-out for one or more assigned projects. The Project Engineer actively gathers information on the status of his/her projects and keeps the Assistant Project Manager or Project Manager informed of issues that could affect schedule and budget. This position also assists in maintaining a focus on safety throughout project duration. The Project Engineer typically reports to the Project Manager or other assigned Manager.
DUTIES OF THE POSITION:
- Proceed with work only to the extent of an executed contract and executed change orders.
- Review and enforce all prime contract terms and obligations.
- Observe work in progress during field visits, question any procedures or end-products that don’t appear appropriate and discuss with the Project Superintendent (PS) for resolution.
- Assist with problem resolution with subs, vendors, architects and owners.
- Assist with the implementation of project plan updates.
- Review weekly construction progress to ensure the project plan is followed and schedule is maintained. Initiate recommendations to keep project on schedule.
- Monitor, verify and expedite material and equipment deliveries, shipping commitments. Advise Project Manager of anticipated late deliveries or issues that could affect the project schedule.
- Negotiate assigned contract changes, subcontracts and purchase orders within delegated authority.
- Negotiate issues and execute subcontract and vendor change orders within delegated authority. Follow up to expedite pricing response.
- Ensure sub/PO amendments and change orders are issued.
- Respond effectively to RFI’s and coordinate response in the field. Verify impact and pricing, if required.
- Track and resolve subcontractor and materials supplier requests for change. Ensure the appropriate subcontract amendments are issued on a timely basis.
- Assist with the project schedule updates, as requested.
- Review submittals for accuracy and compliance with plans and specs. Coordinate from separate trades and check all dimensions at interfaces between trades.
- Ensure that shop drawing and submittal review and approval process is effective and efficient.
- Draft accurate subcontracts/PO Exhibit A for review with subs.
- Maintain and update accurate buyout, closeout, submittal, change order, RFI and insurance logs. Distribute on the requested schedule.
- Post RFI responses on drawings.
- Assemble subcontract/PO agreement and distribute document to subs, vendors and the project team. Follow-up to assure the document is executed.
- Distribute proposed contract changes for approvals. Follow up to assure document is executed.
- Assemble approved change orders and distribute to appropriate parties. Maintain accurate subcontract change order materials and information in ProCor. Distribute for pricing. Follow up on delinquent subs and pricing.
- Ensure all contract documents are properly posted with all changes and clarifications. Maintain record set.
- Assist QCM to ensure project closeout is completed promptly.
- Work with the Project Superintendent to prepare as-built drawings from field record set and the project record documents.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Industry related college degree is required.
- Construction experience is preferred. One to two years in a fast paced business environment would be helpful
- Ability to communicate clearly (both oral/written)
- Good analytical skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office