General Description: The Educational Services Associate will develop and facilitate programming for children grades K-12. Program implementation includes educational and enrichment programming for children staying at People Serving People. We look for creative individuals who have a firm understanding of trauma informed principles and goals as it relates to education as well as a firm understanding of learning and developing a strong foundation in education and experience working with youth in the following areas: literacy, social-emotional development, special education, project-based learning, restorative justice,and relationship and community development.
Essential Functions of the job:
· Understands the social-emotional needs of youth in a shelter setting.
· Understands the impact of toxic stress and trauma on youth in a shelter setting.
· Understands and can implement and build on the trauma-informed framework of our programs.
· Meets daily with the Lead Educational Services Associate.
· Attend weekly meetings with Educational Services staff.
· Develops structured educational lesson plans, incorporating engaging learning activities and/or project-based learning, for children attending Educational Support and Enrichment Programs.
· Uses positive youth development and behavior management strategies.
· Organizes and utilizes materials and classroom/facility in cooperation with other program staff.
· Actively supervises children and volunteers during scheduled programs and field trips to ensure a safe, healthy, and positive environment for all involved.
· Communicates daily program plan to volunteers and ensures volunteers’ comfort level in assisting with activity.
· Sets up and provides educational programs to meet the needs of children.
· Develops rapport with children and families and encourages participation in educational programs.
· Encourages young people to take their ideas seriously as they become problem solvers, innovators, risk-takers, and creators while developing projects that are meaningful to them.
· Assists Lead Educational Services Associate to maintain attendance, program records, and statistics.
· Evaluates regularly the variety, suitability, participation, and overall quality of programs.
· Plans and facilitates large and small group educational and recreational activities during school holidays and summer sessions.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Lead Educational Services Associate and/or Manager.
Computer Skills: Basic computer skills and experience with Microsoft and Apple applications.
Experience working with a multi-cultural, socially diverse population.
Experience planning and implementing children’s programs.
A valid, Class D driver’s license preferred in case of field trip transportation needs.
First Aid and CPR certified or willing to be certified within the first 90 days of work.
Education Required: Completed college credits in one of the following areas: Education, Child Development, Social Science, Child Psychology, Behavioral Sciences, or related area. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Experience leading youth in a group setting.
Schedule: 20 hours/week; Monday – Friday4:00pm-8:15pm
People Serving People is an equal opportunity employer. Opportunities for employment are available to all persons, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status or status with regard to public assistance. People Serving People’s facilities are accessible. Individuals who have experienced homelessness are encouraged to apply.