JOB TITLE: JOURNEYMAN SUBSTATION ELECTRICIAN
Location: North Fort Myers, FL
Work hours: M-F 7:00am – 3:30pm
LCEC provides reliable, cost-competitive electricity to more than 221,000 customers throughout a five county service territory located in Southwest Florida. We employ approximately 400 skilled employees and are one of more than 750 electric distribution cooperatives located throughout the United States. LCEC has been recognized locally and statewide as an industry leader and continually receives acknowledgment for the work that our employees do in the community along with other civic, environmental and professional honors.
We are searching for a Journeyman Substation Electrician to join our Substation Services department located in North Fort Myers, Florida.
JOURNEYMAN SUBSTATION ELECTRICIAN POSITION SUMMARY: This position is responsible for the installation & maintenance of substation & distribution equipment. The following are essential responsibilities of this position and do not include marginal functions that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties.
- Responsible for all assignments, directives, schedules and programs as may be assigned by the substation supervisor or substation lead electrician.
- Perform all phases of substation construction including but not limited to reading and understanding schematic diagrams and construction drawings, construction of foundations, erecting structures, installation of electrical bus, switches, breakers, transformers, voltage regulators, capacitor banks, circuit switchers, AC and DC systems, conduit and cable raceway, ground grid systems, pulling and terminating of cables, installation of control, metering and relay panels, etc.
- Perform all phases of substation maintenance work which includes adjusting of switches, checking electrical connections, checking grounds, sampling and testing of oil, service and inspect equipment, AC & DC systems, update substation equipment records, trouble shooting mechanical and electrical equipment, breaker, regulator and transformer electrical testing, gas, hydraulic pneumatic and stored energy systems, reading and understanding wiring diagrams and schematic drawings and national electric code, etc.
- Gather information for recording of all electrical equipment serviced, repaired, and electrical tested, painted, etc.
- Perform monthly inspections and gather all necessary data for reports and updating records.
- Perform switching on equipment at all voltages as directed by system operations in accordance with established LCEC practices.
- Responsible for the performance of assigned work in accordance with LCEC standards and practices.
- Ensure safety rules and requirements are followed in accordance with the LCEC manual of safe practice.
- Experience to work energized equipment with rubber gloves, sleeves and hot sticks.
- Respond to after-hours work needs and assist with coordinating the emergency repair of the electric system. Respond within the established timeframe to consumer and electric system needs and restore service in a timely manner following an outage.
- Maintain effective working relationships with employees & customers at all levels within LCEC. Ensure smooth operations, productive communications, and effective understanding during all interpersonal contacts. Provide current and accurate information to all requesters, courteously and in a timely manner _ _
- High school graduate –or- GED equivalent.
- Completion of a four year documented substation apprentice program -or - minimum six years experience as a journeyman substation electrician.
- This position is required to be on standby and work irregular hours.
- Valid Florida commercial driver’s license (CDL-Class A), or must obtain within 30 days.
- Familiarity with personal computers and e-mail.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: This position requires typical physical demands found in the construction industry which includes, but is not limited to: heavy lifting, working on ladders, vehicle/equipment operation, and electrical hand tool operation, hand digging, outside and inside work. Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs. frequently; climb in/out of bucket truck; work at night and for extended hours.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: MOSTLY OUTSIDE INCLEMENT WEATHER (EXTREME HEAT, THUNDERSTORM & OCCASIONAL COOL TEMPERATURES). WILL BE ASSIGNED OCCASIONALLY INSIDE FOR SUBSTATION SHOP WORK.
Please note that at the time a candidate is made a job offer, the candidate will be subject to a background check and a drug screening.